Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Confused and bewildered
Unread 12-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Confused and bewildered

Earlyer this year I bought this real nice little Parker P grade with twist steel barrels from brian. Come Augest I promptly to it squirle hunting useing RST lights in 16 ga with no6 shot. Couldnt kill a thing with it so I put it up and figured I would pattern it later. Yesterday I finnaly got it out and took it to the range and put it on paper. There isnt a bird living that could fly through this pattern at fourty measured yards without collecting five or six pellets. The gun patterner great so for Charlies benefit I fired two more rounds at the standard target of the PGCA (a Dr Pepper cans). Eight holes with the right barrel and twelve holes with the left barrel. So here is my question. The only difference between the squirle hunting and the patterning is, Iused RST lights in no 8s westerday and RST lights with no 6s for hunting. Is it possible my gun dosnt like no 6 shot. I wouldnt have thought it would make much difference.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,454 Times in 2,490 Posts

Wayne, I think you answered your own question. Some barrels just "like" different loads. Personally I like and believe that 7 1/2's pattern the best out of every gun I've owned. Never liked 6's. With 7 1/2's you get pattern density and pellet energy enough to kill a bushytail or any bird that flies. IMHO.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I am hot set up to load 16s so at the time I ordered these I had to take what they had (witch was'nt much). I origanally wanted 5s and 7 1/2s. I am surprised at the difference in patterns. I will have to try patterning the no 6s.
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

There are all sorts of opinions but the only way you will really find out for yourself is to pattern the gun with different loads at different distances.

All of my Parker 16's pattern well with 6's and with full choke are effective between 40-60 yards provided I do my job. Usually when the target is missed the problem is at the rear of the gun.

For #5 shot in a 16, the pattern gets raggedy, so I favor 6's and 7 1/2's in a 16. #5 shot is better put through a larger bore gun when you need long distance penetration.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,751 Times in 4,649 Posts

Yeah, shot size can make a difference. Pattern some 6 shot and see what you get.

I personally like small game hunting with 6 shot. Seems to have more stopping power.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,454 Times in 2,490 Posts

Just remember..... Misses are measured in feet, a difference in choke only gives you inches.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

I must have shot at seven or eight squirles over a couple of days an never killed a single one so I switched guns. Huinted with about five differnt guns and I never missed another squirle. When I patterned the gun today it shot right to point of aim. When I was trying to hunt with it you would have thought I was fireing blanks. Confuseing.
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
Blue Collar
PGCA Member

Member Info

To Bruce's point. I find gun mount and sight picture are the biggest culprits in missed shots. Chokes and shot size are seldom the problem. If you can hit what you aim at when something is stationery, make sure you have the same sight picture when your mount is quicker and not deliberate. Cheek weld can come into play when mount a shoot are not so deliberate. I borrowed a Parker (thanks Doc) for some grouse hunting this fall and it was my first Parker. I had to keep telling myself as I mounted the gun, "keep your head down, keep your head down," BANG!
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne goerres View Post
I must have shot at seven or eight squirles over a couple of days an never killed a single one so I switched guns. Huinted with about five differnt guns and I never missed another squirle. When I patterned the gun today it shot right to point of aim. When I was trying to hunt with it you would have thought I was fireing blanks. Confuseing.

Its the gun support member. Get that calibrated correctly and you'll hit.

PS, Russ is an NRA instructor and has taught hundreds of boys and girls to shoot shotguns in the Boy Scout program.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Jerry Parise
Forum Associate

Member Info

Wayne,
Just out of curiosity have you checked to see if the gun truly fits you? Aiming a gun versus quickly mounting a gun and firing at moving game are two totally different situations. When aiming at a stationary target you can pretty much make any gun hit it's target. Mount, swing, fire and hit your target requires a gun that fit you. Just a thought.
Jerry Parise is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Parise For Your Post: