Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #21
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Exactly right John.

You can trace their disappearance by the cutting of the large virgin hardwood tracts in the Midwestern US.

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #22
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,380 Posts

Habitat destruction such as deforestation has doomed many species but has been a plus for others such as whitetails, black bears and turkeys. Elk once inhabited the mountains of western Maryland but are now gone, mostly due to the encroachment of civilization. There is a plan to reintroduce them to Maryland. We'll see how that goes.
Unread 09-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #23
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

Pennsylvania has quite a healthy elk herd Thanks to the PA division of wildlife and sportsmen's dollars.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2014, 11:03 PM   #24
10ga Hammer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Virginia is working an Elk heard as well.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/virginia...7a43b2370.html
"Double guns are a sport and a pastime built into a beautiful package to which I attach myself when entering the great theater of autumn, those days now grow more precious because we are given so few".. Robin Lacy
Robert Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
lost pigeon in michigan
Unread 09-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #25
Blunderbus
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default lost pigeon in michigan

we lost the vote on a pigeon season hear in the mitten state you all had better stop all this knocking of other peoples choice of what and how too shoot at we will not be able to hunt or shoot at any thing. if it not your thing ; do not do it .
Unread 10-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #26
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

Pigeon Season in Michigan? There is no season on pigeons anywhere, they're a feral non native invasive species and can be shot without regulation. Do you mean dove season?

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Destry L. Hoffard For Your Post:
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #27
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Righto Destry. I used to shoot pigeons off farmer Beckman's barn across the road from our Michigan farm and put them in the stew pot with whatever other game there was in the freezer. Good stuff! Here in Fairbanks they let the retriever club trap them live around downtown where they make the biggest poo mess. They use them in dog trials and training.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #28
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,598 Times in 1,551 Posts

Our Springer club had an explosively-launched net, probably 40' x 60' which we would set up wherever there was a mess of pigeons. and we could get permission from the land owner (good luck with that today!). A favorite spot was a granary near the Zilwaukee bridge. Best shot ever was about 450 birds. Depending on whether or not the birds came down, we either came home with a bunch of birds or a hangover.
It's probably a good thing that we didn't know about histoplasmosis - a disease carried in pigeon poo which may case blindness
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Unread 10-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #29
Sam Ogle
Forum Associate

Member Info

Anti gunners will protest using whatever language appeals to the masses: "It isn't like hunting" has been used as anti-second amendment language even though the second amendment didn't have a dang thing to do with hunting.
I, for one, would LOVE to participate in a pigeon shoot. We aren't going to eliminate them by having a few shoots, and it's FUN! One of my first experiences shooting a shotgun was hunting pigeons. Tiptoeing out onto a wooden river bridge, then jumping up & down would launch pigeons out from under the bridge, and the shoot was on! A long deceased brother in law and I learned how to shoot doing this.
Sam Ogle
Sam Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam Ogle For Your Post:
Unread 10-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #30
Cold Spring
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 6,249 Times in 1,202 Posts

For information no matter how you feel on this topic - here's a copy of an email dated yesterday from the VP of the PA Flyers Association. Unless there's some major intervention by Monday, it looks like Live Bird shoots will become illegal in PA. Also note the comment about chukars toward the end of the email.

URGENT REQUEST

October 16, 2014

Dear PAFA Member,

Last night PA House Bill 1750 was passed in the state senate with a vote of 36 to 12 and 2 non-votes. With the passage of this bill, comes an amendment that puts a ban on pigeon shooting, as defined as a non-game bird, and the method by which the birds are shot.

Here is an excerpt of the amended bill:

(C.2) USE OF DOGS, CATS OR OTHER LIVE ANIMALS OR FOWL FOR

TARGETS AT TRAP SHOOT OR BLOCK SHOOT PROHIBITED.--

(1) A PERSON COMMITS A SUMMARY OFFENSE IF THAT PERSON

OPERATES A TRAP SHOOT OR BLOCK SHOOT IN WHICH DOGS, CATS OR

OTHER LIVE ANIMALS OR FOWL ARE USED AS TARGETS.

(2) NOTHING IN THIS SUBSECTION SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO

APPLY TO ACTIVITY WHICH IS AUTHORIZED OR PERMITTED UNDER 34

PA.C.S. (RELATING TO GAME) OR A SPECIAL PERMIT UNDER 58 PA.

CODE CH. 147 (RELATING TO SPECIAL PERMITS).

(Q) DEFINITIONS.--AS USED IN THIS SECTION, THE FOLLOWING

WORDS AND PHRASES SHALL HAVE THE MEANINGS GIVEN TO THEM IN THIS

SUBSECTION:

"BLOCK SHOOT." AN EVENT DURING WHICH PARTICIPANTS SHOOT OR

ATTEMPT TO SHOOT TARGETS WHICH:

(1) FROM A FIXED LOCATION WITHIN A PREDEFINED SHOOTING

FIELD, ARE MANUALLY OR WITH ELECTRONIC OR MECHANICAL

ASSISTANCE LAUNCHED OR OTHERWISE IMMEDIATELY PRESENTED TO THE

SHOOTER; OR

(2) WHEN PRESENTED TO THE SHOOTER, ARE:

(I) AFFIXED TO A TETHERING DEVICE; OR

(II) OTHERWISE IMPAIRED FROM ORDINARY MOVEMENT.

"FOWL." A BIRD, AS DEFINED IN 34 PA.C.S. § 102 (RELATING TO

DEFINITIONS). THE TERM EXCLUDES A GAME BIRD.

"GAME BIRD." AS DEFINED IN 34 PA.C.S. § 102 (RELATING TO

DEFINITIONS).

"TRAP SHOOT." A BLOCK SHOOT.

20130HB1750PN3859 - 3 –

(Chukars (like pigeons) are not considered a game bird, and therefore will also become a target as the antis go after game breeders, dog trainers and their methods of training bird dogs.)

Having watched the entire proceedings on PCN last night, what I found most disappointing was the representation by our legislative “supporters” and their feeble attempts to present their opposition to the bill as amended and dissuade the vote to pass the bill, thereby sending it back to the house for ratification. The proponents of the bill did a superb job of not only stating their view as to why pigeon shooting is not considered a sport or hunting activity, but clearly animal abuse with all its ugliness.

On Monday, October 20, 2014 the bill will come up for a final vote and ratification. Today and tomorrow will be our last opportunity to contact members of the PA House of Representatives to voice your opposition to the passage of this bill.

We urge you and any sportsman you know to contact their representative and ask them to vote no on Monday.
Frank Srebro is offline   Reply With Quote