Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Parker Live Bird Gun??
Unread 01-10-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
Bruce L. Cohen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Cool Parker Live Bird Gun??

Hi Guys and Gals: I am a new, old member, I was a member and droped out when I sold my gun collection. Now getting back into it and picked up a really interesting Parker VHE. I have all the books and they dont answer the question. I sent the serial number to the group and they dont have anything on the gun.
So here we go. VHE, 32 inch bbls. beavertail forarm. No 2 frame double triggers and NO SAFTY. Never had one as there is engaving (factory) over where it would have been. Serial #208616 so about a 1924 gun. Am I correct and this was built as a dedicated Live Bird Gun. Please opine.
Bruce L. Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,872 Times in 2,372 Posts

Maybe! Maybe not! Could be a trap gun or just some old timer's duck gun. Many old timers didn't like a safety. Nash Buckingham had no safety on BoWhoop, and his HDE at Henry Bartholomew's estate.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Bruce L. Cohen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanks for the quick reply. As there are no records for this gun I guess I will never know. I do know or believe that less than 170 something of all VH production was ordered with a Beavertail Forend. Could not find out how many of all Parkers were ordered whithout a saftey from the factory. I know many had them removed and a plug put in but this one is definitly factory ordered. Oh well, anoher mystery unsolved in my life.
Thanks again for getting back to me with your oppinion so quickly.
bruce4guns@aol.com
parker live bird gun
Unread 01-11-2015, 05:23 AM   #4
paul adams
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default parker live bird gun

Forgive me for momentarily stealing your post but what features does a "live bird gun" have or is it just a "loose title"?
paul adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2015, 07:43 AM   #5
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,353 Times in 12,409 Posts

Paul, it has become a 'loose title' of late and seems to be applied to any gun without a safety. A true live bird or inanimate target competition gun or "race gun" often had other defining features as well as provenance to an early competition shooter.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
Bruce L. Cohen
Forum Associate

Member Info

All: Like the man said an overused term. But! What shoud be said is that guns with certain configurations such as long tubes (especially 32 in and over), Factory Bevertail Forearms, and especially factory configured and ordered as this one was (engraving over the area where the saftey would be) double triggers and a high stock, is more than likely a designade live bird or trap gun. While duck hunters might want a gun like this it is more than likely that it was ordered by a live bird shooter or trap shooter. They did not trust the single trigger as it doubled sometime and they did not want to worry about taking off a safty and loosing a bird because they forgot. They wanted the long barrel because it helps with swing through, the beavertail added weight up front to help with this also and to keep ones hand of a very hot barrel. The high stock helped them shoot under the bird and see it sooner. If the records existed for this gun and it was sold to a person and not a store I would bet he would be able to be found to be either a live bird shooter or a trap shooter on as most were both.
Unread 01-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,915 Times in 4,776 Posts

I have not seen a Parker order that specified flyer shooting as the purpose the gun would be used for. However, I have seen many orders that identify the buyer as a known competition shooter in the pigeon ring. Two other rare features that identify a "Pigeon Gun" are "no extension rib" and "flat rib". However, it is rare to find all mentioned features in the same gun.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-11-2015, 10:03 AM   #8
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,208 Times in 3,266 Posts

a couple thoughts - not matured enough to be opinions

isn't 1924 a bit late for the hey day of live bird shooting?

and since it was (and is) largely a big money game to play - wouldn't someone special ordering a live bird gun likely order a higher grade than a V?

my guess is a trap gun - cheapskates that they are
Unread 01-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #9
Bruce L. Cohen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bill: I thank you so much for your input. I am not familiar with the term "no extension rib" and am wondering if by flat rib you mean the standard rib and not a raised or ventilated rib. My gun has all the features described above in my post and a standard rib (flat?). Could you please advise if you mean standard rib when you say flat and what "no extension rib" means as I have never heard the term before does that also mean a non raised or ventilated rib?
Thanks for your knowledge. Shame I will never know who this gun was built for as the records dont exist
Unread 01-11-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Bruce, A flat rib is exactly as Bill describes. Your gun is most likely a concave rib. No rib extention means the lack of the "Dolls head" that fit into a mortise in the top of the frame.