Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 08-19-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,458 Times in 3,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
#29 if the 1 ounce is for target, #30 if for crows (recoil operated autoloader).

#29 for the 1 1/8 ounce which is almost always a crow load, but I seldom use it these days as 1 ounce is plenty.

There are lots of loadings on the Alliant site. Promo and Red Dot are interchangeable, however, Alliant warns that Promo may not drop the same amount with the same bushing as Red Dot. I have yet to find a jug of Promo that was so different I had to change the bushing vs. Red Dot.
I’m okay with Red Dot , Unique and Green Dot and have loads for those powders . But when I looked in the Alliant loadbook brochure thing they had loads listed for Promo but they didn’t have Promo in the bushings chart . Thank you !!! In a conversation with Jimmy Hall earlier today he had told me he had been told the bushings to use were the same as Red Dot also.
Unread 08-19-2020, 08:56 PM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

In my sorta cleaning up I had an older box of WIN AA12 wads that I used up . And took a pic of the load data on the back of the box . I loved 452AA for the 12 as well as 473AA for the 20 and of course 540 for the 28 . I never loaded anything but 540 in the 28 until in the last seven or eight years .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00A8DADA-7740-4DA2-B9BB-685B3AC66031.jpg (513.5 KB, 3 views)
Unread 08-19-2020, 10:29 PM   #13
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,771 Times in 2,005 Posts

Bushings often do not drop what is listed for them. I weigh the charge and see then which bushing drops the closest---and then again, it aint rocket science, and in the lower presure mid velocity(<1200fps) loads I shoot, it wouldnt matter that much.
Unread 08-20-2020, 12:20 AM   #14
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
Bushings often do not drop what is listed for them. I weigh the charge and see then which bushing drops the closest---and then again, it aint rocket science, and in the lower presure mid velocity(<1200fps) loads I shoot, it wouldnt matter that much.
Yeah I was aware of that . Years ago I had a bunch of aluminum slugs cut to make custom bushings for the PW 800C’s I used at that time . After drilling and filing a couple broke me of that PDQ . When I recently started loading the 8 gauge I weighed some bushings with powders that weren’t in the table , a lot more time consuming then I care for .
Unread 08-20-2020, 06:13 AM   #15
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens View Post
The other side of the equation is the other side of the MEC charge bar, they almost universally drop a lighter charge of lead than advertised. I have never worried about this as a shotgun is not a rifle where precision of everything is critical.

When I selected the 7/8 ounce Red Dot load I wanted from the Alliant data I was using a #29 bushing after weighing powder. When shooting them there was nothing wrong but I thought the loads were "barking" just a tad. I simply switched to the #28 bushing went back to shooting and thought there that sounds good. Reloading for a shotgun has some science behind it but it also has some seat of the pants feel to it as well.
Unread 08-20-2020, 11:49 AM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I just loaded and tried one of the Promo 1 1/8 ounce loads using the CB AA wad and the #29 bushing in an STS hull . Shot the shell in a cut down single barrel into the snail and even in that light gun the recoil wasn’t anything to think about ! That stuff seems to burn very clean also . I’ve had people tell me Red Dot isn’t clean or wasn’t clean , but of all the Red Dot I’ve shot in the last 3-4 years in the 10 gauge guns I’ve never noticed anything overly dirty about it .
Unread 08-21-2020, 10:06 AM   #17
Pa SxS
Research Chairman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,410 Posts

I've used Promo before but I would advise mixing the container good before using and checking weight again when starting a new container. The weight varies container to container and lot to lot.
Chuck Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Bishop For Your Post:
Unread 08-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #18
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bishop View Post
I've used Promo before but I would advise mixing the container good before using and checking weight again when starting a new container. The weight varies container to container and lot to lot.
I may be wrong but I suspect I’ll just use up this container and continue on with Red Dot , Green Dot and Unique oh yeah and Universal Clays . When the Obamite was claiming to be a president I bought up anything I thought I could use in anticipation . Now I’m trying to reduce the odds and ends . This jug of Promo came to me when I bought a loader from someone as well as the American Select I used for the 7/8 ounce 12 loads .
Unread 08-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #19
Jeff Christie
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have had excellent results loading 7/8 oz loads in AA cases with MECs #28 bushing with 700X. Slightly lighter than published data but feisty enough to work from 16 to 22 yds at very informal trap evenings.
Jeff Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #20
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

We shot at Central VA today and I asked about an eighter of Red Dot which he didn’t have . But I got the same in Promo for $135 . I also bought a half case of CB 0175-12 wads . I’ll see if the crimp will flatten out with 7/8 ounce of shot in STS hulls .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BEF209B7-53B9-48B9-9A21-0653868298DC.jpg (511.4 KB, 1 views)