Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,872 Times in 4,755 Posts

I deleted the sharp comments from my post, but I still think the decisions made by the EPIC organizers were a slap in the face to those who wished to attend both events and they did a disservice to vendors at both events by thinning the gate, again at both events.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I deleted the sharp comments from my post, but I still think the decisions made by the EPIC organizers were a slap in the face to those who wished to attend both events and they did a disservice to vendors at both events by thinning the gate, again at both events.
Bill I could not agree with you more....What they did was divide the SxS community . The good news is the Epic event did not draw a tenth of the people that their press releases said so maybe they can fade into the sunset along with there lead shot ban...
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Gentlemen:
If there is anything that will do disservice to the SxS community -- and help seal the fate of shooting sports as a whole -- it is lack of foresight, deference... and rejection of our sport by responsible individuals.

I have no idea why EPIC was created or scheduled to take place on the same weekend as Vintagers. But I doubt if there was any mendacity involved. What's more, I could also give a fig about the steel shot issue.

What does trouble me is negativity that has been prevalent on this board -- and others -- regarding alleged plots, hidden agendas, resentment and jealously surrounding EPIC v. Vintagers.

These concocted controversies and unfounded accusations only serve to demean BOTH events. And in the end, perhaps result in our collective loss.

In my view, it is prudent to encourage and support both events. That includes a respectful entreaty to EPIC so mavens of the double gun can attend BOTH -- not one or the other. Steel shot? Whining about that restriction gains nothing. EPIC was much more than shooting. But I understand that next year's even may be adjusted to allow lead shot. Why not support such an effort rather than complain and foster contentiousness?

As I've said, I now relish BOTH Vintagers and EPIC. And the latter has great potential for the future.

To wish EPIC ill fortune at this point is simply childish.

Why not think constructively and have them both?

Best, Kensal
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

"I have no idea why EPIC was created or scheduled to take place on the same weekend as Vintagers. But I doubt if there was any mendacity involved. What's more, I could also give a fig about the steel shot issue."

Well Kensal I do give a "fig" about steel shot (if you understood vintage guns you would understand) Also interesting to see you have only six posts on this board and they are all about this shoot.. Are you the same person that posted on DoubleGunShop about how great this show was...? Just wondering

Eric
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Kensal, I don't understand how you can preach to the rest of us and accuse us of disparaging the motives of the EPIC promoters when we did no such thing. If you want to preach about negative rhetoric, reread your original post. I expect you may choose to rewrite your most recent post after rereading it, but several of us may hit the print button before you can edit. We are supporting both events. Please don't accuse posters in general with negativity when there has been absolutely none except concerning the ridiculous lead shot prohibition. In addition, no one has accused the EPIC promotors of any devious intent, just very poor planning. They just didn't have a clue. Your use of the word "mendacity" is a poor choice. I'm sure you really meant to say that our posters suspect devious intent. Mendacity is fooling with the truth, not devious intent. We suspect no devious intent from the EPIC promoters.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #16
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

Dear Eric & Bill:
I attended EPIC and was impressed. That's all. I have attended Vintagers, as well. That is equally impressive. I can't see what all the bile is about. Except possibly for Eric. He seems to like cartoons.
And Mr. Murphy... you have no grounds to critique anyone's prose. Your original post proves as much.
This will be my last post on this topic.

Best, Kensal
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

The only conflict between EPIC and the Vintage Cup was with the vendors. Anyone interested in shooting real shotguns was at Pintail Point shooting lead. I expect the folks at EPIC had plenty opportunity to shoot one of those new blue Berettas, and that's ok if that trips your trigger. EPIC was probably as much about selling real estate as anything else and that is a shaky foundation on which to build interest in shooting. Next year I hear Ray P will take his Vintage Cup back to NY State. I'll bet those vendors who were at EPIC will be back with the Vintagers in 2012.
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Actually, the Vintagers will be back at Addieville, New Hampshire, where it all began. Whatever the situation with weather or scheduling, all who attend will have a good time. Hopefully, some of us will also have a good time at EPIC Game Fair ll, on a different weekend.
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Just to set the record straight... Addieville East Farms is in Mapleville, RI which is a part of Smithville, RI I believe... but I think Bill knew that - he's been there before.

And I'll be there for sure next year - a few times next year in fact, it's only a little over an hour from my house.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensal Rise View Post
Dear Eric & Bill:
I attended EPIC and was impressed. That's all. I have attended Vintagers, as well. That is equally impressive. I can't see what all the bile is about. Except possibly for Eric. He seems to like cartoons.
And Mr. Murphy... you have no grounds to critique anyone's prose. Your original post proves as much.
This will be my last post on this topic.

Best, Kensal
Sorry Kensal, guess I missed your sarcastic meaning about me liking cartoons, I'm just a simple guy so maybe you can explain your meaning (sorry I am a little slow)