Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #11
Robert Delk
PGCA Member

Member Info

You would not believe the difference that lighting,angle of the shot,lens and, in the old days, the film make when trying to get correct color of any object in a "shot." Even the grain of the wood can be subdued or enhanced by different factors.My buddy is a professional photographer and he is always dealing with this situation.I would not judge case colors by just a picture, if money was changing hands,on a used gun.
Robert Delk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

The picture I posted is true to color. I took a bunch and picked that one as being the best. It's a remarkable V grade for condition. The butt plate has essentially zero wear. This gun has not seen much use at all. That program will change as long as I own it I can tell you.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Richard as you know I have a few high condition Parkers and comparing your gun to them I would say those are original case colors.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Photographing Metal Color
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
Austin W Hogan
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Default Photographing Metal Color

I built a photo stand with two photofloods to use in making photos for PP. I found that black and white was the only honest way of presenting engraving and frame filing detail. All damascus and twist patterns photo graph with red and brown spots in tungsten light, regardless of filter or electronic correction. I found diffuse daylight to give the best color rendition with electronic photography.
I have often pondered how some guns retain color in protected areas, while others have complete abscense of color. I conclude that most color loss is due to use of rust removing or rust inhibiting oil. One wipe with rust removing oil exceeds years of wear. White mineral oil has enhanced remaining color in my experience.

Best, Austin
Austin W Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Eric: I've not thought for a second that these colors are anything but original. The only reason I posted the picture was to show well preserved original colors. Anyone who had the gun in hand would think the same. Had I posted a pic of the other side that is not as intensely colored I doubt the originality issue would have come up.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
todd allen
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,135 Posts

I have heard that light, especially direct sunlight causes case colors to fade. Any truth to this?
todd allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

First of all, I am singularly unqualified to comment on Parker color orginality, but...

When we talk about "original" colors, we are talking about colors which have been around for about 100 years. No one reading these notes has ever seen an original gun when it left the factory. Can anyone discuss whether colors fade or change after 100 years? How would that be done?
So, we are comparing fresh colors with 100 year old colors that we cannot say may not have faded or changed. Hmmm.
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #18
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd allen View Post
I have heard that light, especially direct sunlight causes case colors to fade. Any truth to this?
I have heard that too, and I talked to Oscar Gaddy on that and he said no sunlight did not affect case colors. He and I had quite the discussion on this as I had seen two Parker shotguns that would have been 90% condition but the right side of each gun had faded colors and the bottom and left side had excellent bright colors. These two guns hung on a wall with the right side exposed to a south facing window for about 20 years, Oscar couldn't explain it but still said sun did not effect case colors, I don't take a chance and keep them out of sunlight unless I am using them.

I also heard (don't know if it is true) that Hoppes #9 can cause case colors to fade.
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

I may be in the best position to test the sunshine hypothesis

An average of 2000 - 2500 hours of sunshine annually make Saskatchewan Canada's sunniest Province. The City of Estevan in the southeast records an average of 2540 hours of sunshine a year.

I have shot a lot of roosters within a short distance of Estevan.

I offer to "store" in a sunny room and to "exercise" only on sunny days any highly colored original Parker (grade unimportant) over the course of a multi-year study. There would be photos and annual reports fully detailing the impact of sunlight on the case colors. The owner would get those reports first and would be the person to provide a detailed opinion article for the first PP's of each successive year. Given the high number of sunshine hours, I believe a five year study would test the sunshine reduction of case color hypothesis, after which the gun will be returned to the rightful owner. I will not place any restrictions on the number of guns that can be "stored and exercised" to complete such a worthwhile study. Should the hypothesis be proven, the owner could elect to have the colors re-done or enjoy the new silver look. If the hypothesis is not proven, then nobody need worry about a sunny day afield or at the shooting club.

Here's a colorful alphabetical riddle: How much green would it take to move a colorful blue VH from AK to SK?

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Fat chance Jack ........