Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

My Grandfathers Parker
Unread 09-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
Michael Harrington
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default My Grandfathers Parker

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I joined because this seems to be the place to go for any information regarding Parker shotguns.

In short, I recently inherited my grandfather's Parker shotgun and am looking for any information, value estimations, and/or tips on what I should restore or keep original to optimize the value and original beauty of this gun.

There is a large crack in the stock as well that should be visible in the pictures below.

Thanks in advance for everyone who takes the time to read this post!

-Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0856.jpg (506.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0850.jpg (506.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0844.jpg (506.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0845.jpg (505.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0859.jpg (525.6 KB, 7 views)
Michael Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Mike Poindexter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Appears to be a DHE (missing one ejector) from 1923-24 time frame with Monte Carlo stock, beavertail forend, and some kind of elevated rib, which fits with what I call a "trap" configuration. The wrist crack can be fixed by a competent double gunsmith at not too great a cost. The missing ejector could be more of a problem, but DelGrego, among others, can probably fix it. Closeups of the rib from the top and side, and the forend lug on the barrels ahead of the hook, the barrel undersides between the forend lug and the flats, as well as closeups of the forend checkering and the recoil pad, would help shed more light. The metal appears to be in very nice shape. Value, assuming no other flaws, could go 2 to 10 K, unless there is some rarity or provenance factor I'm not aware of. Others are more knowledgeable about these trap configured guns than I am.
Mike Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Poindexter For Your Post:
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Michael, Congratulations on inheriting a great gun from your grandad! I looks to be in great condition and of trap configuration. The crack in the stock can be repaired without too much trouble. And that is about all I would do to this gun.Sorry to say your gun is not listed in the "Serialization Book" but there may be existing records on the gun.
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #4
Bindlestiff
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,924 Times in 869 Posts

Michael,

Welcome to the forum. You have a very nice Parker!

If it were mine, I would have the stock & ejector repaired and leave the rest as is.

There are a few stock men out there that can repair the stock and make it stronger than it was when new; AND do it in a way that will be almost invisible to your eye.

You have a DHE grade and a nice one. Check out the wwwparkerguns.org main page and click on the FAQ link and read over the list. There you will find information to help know if the beavertail forend is original or not and the Parker Identification link will explain the marks under the barrels and on the water table of the frame.

You have a nice gun and I would let only a gunsmith with experience with Parkers work on it. One known for high quality work. It is not a gun for the avg. gunsmith, it is just to nice to take the risk.
Robin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,870 Times in 4,754 Posts

That is one great gun. Before you do anything with the stock, wait for a recommendation for someone who can do it right. A new stock to duplicate the original and match the forend is three grand and up. There are people who can make your crack absolutely disappear and never break again. I'll start with Dave Wolf in Waco, Texas if he is taking on work. Others will have other recommendations.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

Michael: All of the above are great suggestions. If you want a name, I had Jim Kelly at The Darlington Gun Works repair a Parker that was cracked at the wrist like yours is. You can not tell now that it was ever cracked. Cost was about $100. Congrats on your Grandpa's tase in guns. Jim could also repair the ejector. He can be reached at (843) 393-3931.

Best Regards, George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,727 Posts

Although this does not solve your ejector issue Dennis Smith at the "The Stock Doctor" has done fantastic repair/stock work for me for quite awhile now. He can be reached at 1-541-483-2182 He does have some bench time available now for repairs.
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
Gill Frye
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'll second that on Mr. Kelly, he does it all.
Gill Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
Sam Ogle
Forum Associate

Member Info

THIS is why I belong to the PGCA. Nice guys giving informative answers. And, guys like Destry, and Bruce Day. Both of which are more colorful than a new big box of crayons.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE
Sam Ogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
Fishtail
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

What's that squiggly stuff on the water table?
greg conomos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1924, double barrel, parker, side-by-side