Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Pheasants with grandson
Unread 03-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
crs
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Pheasants with grandson

Hunt Report written to hunting buddy:
Morning Joe,
Troupe and I shot a few clays before lunch to prep for the birds. I was shooting my Parker 20 left handed/left eyed and noticed that I was close all the time, but usually just clipped or missed the clay and powdered only one .
Same story in the field early on, but fortunately Troupe was shooting well and killed those I just winged. He shoots his 12 ga Orion even better than the 20 ga Orion that he out grew. I did OK on straight- aways but was not leading passing birds until well into the hunt. I finally focused on the lead and dropped a right to left bird with a head shot and it felt great. So, for now, I will shoot clays and birds left handed unless my right eye clears up.
I hammered a couple of birds with the last two of those B&P long range #5s you gave me and will be buying more of them as they make my 20 gauge deadly out to 50 yards and beyond.  That would have been handy on the one wild flush we had; that rooster took off before the dogs were within 15 yards of it and maybe it saw or heard us coming.

The field cocker in the picture is a young dog being trained to flush and looked like a show dog when he came out of the box, so I included him in the pic because Marty showed cockers at one time.

So, if you and Richard stay here overnight enroute to the bear hunt, we will plan to have pheasants for dinner and feral hog sausage for breakfast!