Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 09-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,361 Times in 4,429 Posts

Sounds like this gun has some interesting stories to tell, if only it could
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,292 Times in 862 Posts

Isn't/wasn't this gun on GunBroker?
Isn't the gun located in New Hampshire?
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to George M. Purtill For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

mills: you and i wonder the same thing when we see a fine old gun...who has it belonged to? what has it seen? where has it been? how did it get the way it is? and in my case, where and when it is going to its new home?

i agree, too bad they can't tell us more...

will let you know if letter reveals anything interesting.
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,654 Times in 4,632 Posts

Above statements regarding what is correct and not correct are true. I also want to add that the checkering pattern on the wrist is also not correct for any straight grip Parker. The pattern should wrap around the long guard. That pattern on there is more like what is seen on some Ithaca guns.

The BTFE looks to be the correct length. But... is the forend iron correct? Does it have the draw bolt? Also, what about a 1pc. forend loop? These are things we need to see in order to help figuring if the gun might be in any way correct?

Pete's lookup of the gun suggests that the gun did not have a BTFE originally.
Unread 09-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

brian: a forend draw bolt is present. not sure what you mean by 1 pc forend loop?

i am now leaning in the direction, that this is a skeet grade gun that was made with a pistol grip stock and beavertail forend. and later, the gun was restocked with upgraded wood. hopefully, the factory records letter will tell us more. take a look at the forend checkering. now, that is wonderful work.

one the practical side, i fired a round of skeet with the 26" barrels installed...i usually miss about 10 out of 25. new gun and all, dont ja know... this time, i only missed a few... could there be some magic here that we are not aware of? perhaps an old iroquois sachem stopped by illion one night and by the light of the full of the moon, put a positive hoodoo hex on this gun? i have never shot skeet that well with a new gun!
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
George M. Purtill Member #28
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,292 Times in 862 Posts

Original or not its a pretty skeet gun. Gunbroker has a lot more pictures of it.
And the extra barrels are a neat addition. The only thing I don't like is the DHBP.
George M. Purtill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #17
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,616 Times in 2,667 Posts

May I recommend The Parker Story? It answers almost all questions about Parkers and proper component configuration. For any person with more than a passing interest in Parkers, TPS is essential and leads to greater interest.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

bruce: the parker story does provide some info re skeet guns. however, pictures of original guns are lacking. and as this one is of late remington manufacture, it may be subject to more variation than do the earlier meridan made guns? it has been my experience that the best source for info re parkers and other fine guns is the internet. forums like this one, for sale listings and web browser searches reveal a lot more info than can be found in the limited frozen in time media of the printed page...plus the parker factory records letter is a wonderful service, right along with the cody winchester and colt factory letter services...
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #19
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

george: i agree, it is a nice gun. hopefully, i will find out soon just how nice it is.
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #20
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,654 Times in 4,632 Posts

Ed,

Refer to TPS for info about the 1pc. forend loop. This was used on near all BTFE equipt guns. I see that your aftermarket set of barrels for this gun does have it. But there not no pic in the GB auction showing the forend loop on the original barrels to tell.

Another thing to take note of on this gun, showing that it has been worked over, is the blued forend iron and also top lever. Niether of these is correct.

And my final observation in regards to the BTFE being original or not is the iron itself. It is the correct forend iron (with draw bolt) for a BTFE. But, by the look of the S/N stamping on the iron, it seems that the numbers have been restamped to match the gun. The number style does not match and it is lightly struck and larger compared to the watertable. BTFE was most likely added at the same time that the other barrels were fitted and gun was "restored".