Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-26-2021, 07:16 PM   #11
Researcher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,833 Times in 2,362 Posts

Most of these vintage doubles if they have been in use since the mid-1920s to the 1980s have digested plenty of Western Super-X, Winchester Super-Speed, Peters High Velocity and Remington Nitro Express shells. These loads with progressive burning smokeless powder moved out their payloads at higher velocities than the older bulk and dense smokeless powders. From the turn of the century to the early 1920s the heaviest 12-gauge loads were 3 1/2 drams of bulk smokeless powder or 28-grains of dense smokeless powder pushing 1 1/4 ounce of shot from 2 3/4 inch or longer shells. The pressure generated by these shells were a bit higher than the current SAAMI specs for 12-gauge shells. The introduction of progressive burning smokeless powders allowed that 1 1/4 ounce to be moved out at higher velocity but with lower pressures. In the 16-, 20- and 28-gauges they could increase the payloads 1/8 ounce from the old bulk or dense loads, increase the velocity and keep the pressures reasonable.

While it certainly can't be proved, my bet is that the great bulk of the Twist and Damascus barrel Parker Bros. guns sold from the mid-1890s onward have never seen a black powder shell. A sport who could afford a Parker was also springing for the best and latest smokeless powder shells.
Dave Noreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave Noreen For Your Post:
Unread 11-26-2021, 11:55 PM   #12
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,393 Times in 682 Posts

It is baseline for me that my gun can take more recoil than I can.

Can't wait for this dystopic ammunition components shortage to come to an end.