Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

10 gauge black powder loads
Unread 04-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
John zill
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 10 gauge black powder loads

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and seeking advice on reloading 10 gauge black powder shells. I have a Remington model 1889 hammered double barrel with decarbonized barrels. It's in good shape and I really wanna shoot that bad boy. I have some modern 10 gauge shells that i cut open ( i know thats not the best approach) and emptied the shot and powder hoping to reload them because i cant find any empty shells for sale. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
John zill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2018, 01:11 AM   #2
Mike Franzen
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,361 Times in 1,310 Posts

Track of the wolf sells a “how to” 10 gauge reloading manual I would suggest you get.
Mike Franzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Mike Franzen's homepage!
Unread 04-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

BP reloading is pretty easy. Go to https://www.precisionreloading.com/ under fiber wads, page 2, you'll find 10ga wads. If you're going to fold crimp you won't need the over shot cards [ .028 thick ]. They also have roll crimpers, adjustable powder/shot measures, and empty 10ga hulls.The adjustable measure is nice. Put some powder in a bowl and shot in another. Set the measure for say 1 1/8oz of shot and use it to measure powder and shot. With BP an equal amount of both is the standard. Pour the powder in, push in a overpowder card [ 1/8" thick ] the necessary cushion wads so when you drop in the shot it comes up the right level for a good crimp. If the level is too high or low, dump the shot out and add or subtract cushion wads. They can be broken in pieces with a finger nail or knife. If roll crimping add the over shot card last and crimp. It's a little trail and error, but nothing will be wasted. I have three 10ga SxS's and usually shoot nitro in them but have shot BP also. The BP will burn through the base of the shell after a couple of reloads where as nitro won't. And yes, all three are Damascus barrel guns, one of them a 1882 Remington. With nitro I like to shoot 1oz of shot and 19grs of Red Dot or Promo. A lot of the guys do it with 1 1/8oz of shot and 19grs of RD. Good luck - Paul
Unread 04-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #4
John zill
Forum Associate

Member Info

This is great thanks for the great info
John zill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
StubTwist
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,601 Times in 483 Posts

This link is a good introduction to BP shells. http://www.tbullock.com/bpsg.html

For the occasional BP shooter, brass shells is the way to go. If you order from Track of the Wolf, they recommend to order 9 gauge wads and cards for those shells.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...-SHELL-10-2-78

Frank
Frank Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I cut all my shells at 2 3/4 and used a Mec Jr to load them. A 46 bushing cut in half should give about 82grs of BP. No bushing about 94 grs - not real sure, it's been awhile. Those are a 1 1/8 and 1 1/4oz loads. BP is more forgiving than nitro. You can go up or down 10grains and still be safe, you'll just have more or less velocity. A dram is 27.3grs of powder and usually measured by volume, not weight. In a 10 about 4 drams and a 1 1/4 of shot is about all you'd want to go, less if possible. If you don't have a press, just use a wooden dowel that fits in the shell to prime and push wads in. Use a dowel with a nail sticking out to deprime. Don't use plastic wads, they'll melt in the barrel and be APITA to remove. If using 3F you can go down about 10% with powder, it burns hotter and gives more pressure. In the 12ga, a good load was 75 of 3F and 1oz of shot, or 82 of 2F and a ounce or 1 1/8oz of shot. In the 10 I'd go around 3 1/2 drams, or 95grs of 2F and a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4oz of shot. Lighter for targets and heavy for hunting. When I shoot clays with smoke in my 10 it's usually 1oz of shot and 90grs of 2 F.