Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Snows
Unread 04-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,551 Times in 504 Posts

Smile Snows

I went out to the old hunting spot and took a couple pictures of the snows migrating through on there way up to Alaska and Arctic nesting areas. They are not the best photo's but not bad for the camera I had. Thomas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow geese 010.jpg (482.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg snow geese 007.jpg (482.7 KB, 1 views)
Thomas L. Benson Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Thomas L. Benson Sr. For Your Post:
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,167 Times in 3,263 Posts

Interesting

When i did a lot of waterfowling several years ago we had lots of Canadas but did not see many snows, i always liked to see the big flock pictures.

Then about a month ago, i was driving down a back road (New York's Finger Lakes region) and i had to pull over to watch thousands of them decend onto a field. Very cool to see
Unread 04-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

It was just a great day for bird watching and the weather was great.The sounds kinda give you the chills with so many birds. Thomas
Unread 04-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

good pictures THOMAS you dont see such a flock of geese down in my neck of the woods... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Bill Faulk
Banned

Member Info

Many of these snows were probably down here on the Katy prarie..out by Houston.
I can tell about 18 of these big guys won't be coming back up your way this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Prarie Snows.jpg (3.4 KB, 159 views)
william faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
OLD GEEZER
PGCA Member

Member Info

Smile

Bill: The farmers think there is to many anyway.Man they can do some damage to young crops in a hurry. I wonder if those birds down your way come this way or do they head north through the mississippi flyway. Thomas
Fools and old fools
Unread 04-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Default Fools and old fools

Boys, they've been up here in Saskatchewan for over a month. We have had global warming spring weather. No snow since early March, that is until this morning (a lovely six inches or so). I have not bothered migratory birds since the early '80s. Now that I'm flying solo, I decided to chase a few snows. Chase, so far, is the correct term. CHARLIE and KYRA get extended daily hikes, sometimes for two or three hours.

I decided I would carry a shotgun during the spring season (it will be on for two months). Limit is 20/day and 60 possession. I only want to take a few and try making sausage, unless someone has a recipe that turns snow goose into an epicurean delight. Never have eaten them nor shot them.

I must say, I'm tentatively not a fan of steel shot. Bought myself one box of BB steel for this exercise. (I had one old SKB XL 900 full choke barrel modified for steel several years back but only have put one round of steel through it a couple days ago). The birds are numerous and often fly over areas that the dogs get their exercise. I haven't gotten serious about getting set up, just expect a passing opportunity from time to time. Well I did get that. Lots of birds were coming to me. One V of six was going to be perfect. At the right moment, I stood, fired and listened to the pellets "tick tick ticking" through the V. My chosen bird did not drop or flinch. I watched them fly on until no longer in view, which on the bald prairie is at least a couple miles. Nothing dropped. Back when I shot lead at migratory, I'm sure I would have had a dead goose under similar circumstances. So, I will adjust my idea of what is in range for steel.

Yesterday, was the kind of day a waterfowler wants. Heavy wind and driven rain/sleet/snow. I put on all the necessary gear to survive. I had watched a few areas while dog hiking and decided I would walk a seldom used rail line that cuts through crop land with two very large sloughs. I couldn't drive up to the line, as the roads were impassable, so I parked on the grid road and hiked. It is about 1 1/2 miles to the water. Lots of ducks greeted us. A couple of Canada's laughed at us as they fanned us with their outstretched wings at a range of feet not yards. Two flocks of swans majestically trumpeted our presence. In the heavy wind they could barely make progress, so they could be watched for several minutes as they gained maybe 50 or 60 yards. Finally, in the distance I watched a big flock of snows headed our way but they turned and spiraled into the crop we had left behind us with the rolling kennel.

It was ugly weather and even though I was dressed for it, I started wishing I was sitting beside the fireplace nursing a single malt and even began to question my sanity. I concluded I am sane but only another hunter would agree. We walked back to where I could see the feeding flock and watched for a while, hoping they had had their fill and would move on. That didn't happen.

We were about a quarter mile from the car and the warmth of the heater. After over an hour in the elements, I reluctantly chose the heater (sane to the vast majority but insane to the true waterfowler) I think I'm getting older. In my youth, I would have been belly crawling to get into the flock.

We'll see what today brings. It has already brought six inches of snow that we haven't seen for several weeks. The wind is howling and were back to frigid temps. I did leave winter tires on one vehicle, as I was pretty sure global warming didn't really consider Saskatchewan's place on the globe.

Cheers,
Jack
Unread 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,796 Times in 3,967 Posts

good storey jack...i just knew you were gonna get one of them snows...am waiting to hear of the first kill....i too like you have crawled on my belly after game bu t ive given it up too....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,624 Times in 1,558 Posts

My great uncle lowcrawled up a slough to get a shot at a couple fo Canadas in a field. Got in range, stood up, and killed two of a man's live decoys. My uncle's description was that "Then the track meet started"
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dallas For Your Post:
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,167 Times in 3,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
My uncle's description was that "Then the track meet started"