Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Of puppies and wool shirts
Unread 03-16-2024, 11:35 AM   #1
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Of puppies and wool shirts

As my wife and I have worked our way thru the pain of loosing a faithful four footed friend and the joys of a new Lab puppy there have been casualties. A fine pair of Kangaroo western boots one but the one closest to my heart a Pendelton wool shirt my mother gave me for Christmas many, many years ago. "Skipper" got it cornered early one morning and it is now short sleeved (at the armpit) on one side with no buttons anywhere. In searching for a replacement I discoved Pendelton isn't the same, have gone to mystery source imports, lots of bad reviews. In searching I found Johnson Woolen Mills In Johnson, Vermont. They appear to be the real deal, a small American firm of many years still making good quality "Made in the USA" garments. I just ordered a new shirt and am waiting with high hopes!
Keith Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 03-16-2024, 11:48 AM   #2
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Doty View Post
As my wife and I have worked our way thru the pain of loosing a faithful four footed friend and the joys of a new Lab puppy there have been casualties. A fine pair of Kangaroo western boots one but the one closest to my heart a Pendelton wool shirt my mother gave me for Christmas many, many years ago. "Skipper" got it cornered early one morning and it is now short sleeved (at the armpit) on one side with no buttons anywhere. In searching for a replacement I discoved Pendelton isn't the same, have gone to mystery source imports, lots of bad reviews. In searching I found Johnson Woolen Mills In Johnson, Vermont. They appear to be the real deal, a small American firm of many years still making good quality "Made in the USA" garments. I just ordered a new shirt and am waiting with high hopes!
Keith, you might check Bemidji Woolen Mill. We always stop at their outlet in Bemidji when we’re grouse hunting. They make some things there.

When you find a shirt you like, buy two or three. There’s always a pup in the future 😉
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-16-2024, 12:00 PM   #3
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

I ordered one from Johnson. When it arrives I'll smoke it over. If I like what I get I'll definitely order a couple more as I have a couple other heavy wool shirts showing their age. I have worn'em hard for years but nothing lasts forever. If disappointed I'll return and certainly give your suggestion a shot, thanks.
Lab Pups.....oh yea, there will be others. Currently have a 10 year old male and Skipper's kennel mate is 9. Both currently in good health but getting on in years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post:
Unread 03-16-2024, 12:43 PM   #4
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

I have a friend that says "If you find something you like you better buy two of them. They always stop making stuff you like."
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 03-16-2024, 01:02 PM   #5
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Guaranteed, if I like it it will soon be discontinued to make way for "New and Improved" which it very rarely is. The Kangaroo hide boots this pup gnawed the right toe off were the lightest, most comfortable pair of dress boots I have ever owned, had'em for years. Obviously no longer available! Spent hours looking, no cigar.
Unread 03-16-2024, 01:21 PM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
I have a friend that says "If you find something you like you better buy two of them. They always stop making stuff you like."
This is the “Gene Hill Rule.” I’ve been following it for years.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post:
Unread 03-17-2024, 12:20 PM   #7
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

New shirt arrived, a hearty stamp of approval here. Appears well made, stitching straight and tight, seams all double stitched, nice clothing. Classic 85% wool, 15% nylon for wear and shape retention. For anybody in need I'd say check them out. They also have an extensive line of blankets, camp blankets, and throws.
Unread 03-17-2024, 01:05 PM   #8
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,547 Times in 3,106 Posts

My Dad bought me a new Pendleton whenever he couldn't think of something else, Mostly, at Christmas. He wore them all the time, but never seemed to wear them out. As I outgrew mine, I grew into his and it makes me feel good to wear his old shirts. I wear a different one each day, and don't repeat for at least 2 weeks. I believe I have about 2 dozen. My wife occasionally finds one at a thrift shop. There are many, usually dry cleaned and wrapped, on ebay.
My all time favorite is the Lindsey tartan, even though I have one Brown, and two Douglas, both of which are family names.
edgarspencer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to edgarspencer For Your Post:
Unread 03-17-2024, 01:21 PM   #9
Mike of the Mountain
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,906 Times in 2,688 Posts

If Johnson's flannel lined wool button-down shirt came in a Hawaiian print......
Mike Koneski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Koneski For Your Post:
Visit Mike Koneski's homepage!
Unread 03-17-2024, 01:54 PM   #10
Keith Doty
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Koneski View Post
If Johnson's flannel lined wool button-down shirt came in a Hawaiian print......
Mike, I looked. Not yet. I think you ought to contact them and point out the sales potential. Now.....the process may drive the loom folks completely mad!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Doty For Your Post: