Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Foto Fridays

Notices

Meet the Russells
Unread 09-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Meet the Russells

Next to my dog and a couple of shotguns, my favorite hunting gear would have to be my Russell boots. Just put a fresh coat of bacon grease on my Bird Shooters in preparation for my Grouse trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8406.jpg (53.7 KB, 49 views)
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Russell Boots- Berlin WI
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Russell Boots- Berlin WI

[QUOTE=Dave Fuller;4546]Next to my dog and a couple of shotguns, my favorite hunting gear would have to be my Russell boots. Just put a fresh coat of bacon grease on my Bird Shooters in preparation for my Grouse trip.[/

I'll second that Dave. I've had a pair of 11D Russell Birdshooters for 25 years, still wear them-I'm a tad fussy about three things re: outdoors and hunting/shooting- proper gun cleaning and care, quality ammo (handloads included) and quality foot wear- My favorite dress shoes are Johnson and Murphy and Bass, and my favorite huting boots are W.C. Russell and Red Wing, and I don't skimp on the sox, liners and foot powder.

I'd use bacon grease but my first choice is Sno-Seal, as my Lab "Khartoum" loves BLT's and those Russell's are not his, they are mine.

Last edited by Francis Morin; 09-27-2009 at 05:32 PM.. Reason: Correct W.G. to W.C. in Russell
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

15-years ago I bought a pair of Russell Sheep Hunters, thinking they woudl be the 4x4 of all boots. (What the hell was I thinking?) A couple of years ago I sent them back and had them resoled with Birdsuooter soles and they are much mire enjoyable. I have been planning to dress the boots but I am not sure what I want to use. Bacon grease - not going to happen as I have a hard enough time already keeping my dogs from chewing on my boots and shoes. Sno-seal is certainly an option but what else have you used?

Thanks,

JDG
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Rod N. Gunn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Bacon grease helps the dog get us back to the truck!!! Just kidding about the bacon grease, its actually Hubard's Shoe Grease which looks like bacon grease but works really well, keeps them soft and semi-water resistant.
Dave Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Russells and "Waffle Stomper Soles, etc.""
Unread 09-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Russells and "Waffle Stomper Soles, etc.""

[QUOTE=Jay Gardner;4640]15-years ago I bought a pair of Russell Sheep Hunters, thinking they woudl be the 4x4 of all boots. (What the hell was I thinking?) A couple of years ago I sent them back and had them resoled with Birdsuooter soles and they are much mire enjoyable. I have been planning to dress the boots but I am not sure what I want to use. Bacon grease - not going to happen as I have a hard enough time already keeping my dogs from chewing on my boots and shoes. Sno-seal is certainly an option but what else have you used?

Thanks, Jay- I think those Sheep hunter series soles were often called waffle stompers, heavy treads that would plug up with gunk and mud and clay. I have also used Mink Oil on the Birshooters- I think I once read about putting leather boots after being treated into a warm oven to "set" the Sno-Seal or Mink Oil- probably the same guy that suggested washing the many times fired AA red hulls in the Missus' Maytag to clean off the black powder crud--

As a former "grunt- 0311) the old trick of getting a new pair of leather boots wet and walking them dry to mold to your feet (heavy sox recommended) comes to mind, and my Russell's qualify- but my newer Red Wings (heavier and no moccasin toe style) require no treatment except removal of mud-

I can't recall what I spent when I ordered my Birdshooters, but it was money well spent and I even remember the name of the manager of their order dept. back then - Ralph Fabricius if memory serves. Doing business with small specialized American companies is, to me, more personal and gratifying than buying from Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Scheels or even L.L. Beanies!!
Unread 09-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Jay - Russell includes a little tub of dressing with thier new boots. I'd call them and get some of that. I've heard it said that Sno Seal, having a lot of silicone in it, dries out the leather ( ? ), and that Mink oil softens the leather too much
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dallas View Post
Jay - Russell includes a little tub of dressing with thier new boots. I'd call them and get some of that. I've heard it said that Sno Seal, having a lot of silicone in it, dries out the leather ( ? ), and that Mink oil softens the leather too much
Mr. Dallas, great minds think alike. I ordered a tub of their boot dressing as well as a bar of Saddle Soap last evening. You are correct - Sno-seal will stiffen the leather and really needs heat to get the seal to "set." Russell suggests that boots be scrubbed with Saddle Soap and allowed to dry before the application of a waterproof dressing so I will follow their directions - to the"T."
Jay
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Saddle Soap First- yes indeed
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Saddle Soap First- yes indeed

[QUOTE=Jay Gardner;4731]Mr. Dallas, great minds think alike. I ordered a tub of their boot dressing as well as a bar of Saddle Soap last evening. You are correct - Sno-seal will stiffen the leather and really needs heat to get the seal to "set." Russell suggests that boots be scrubbed with Saddle Soap and allowed to dry before the application of a waterproof dressing so I will follow their directions - to the"T."
Jay Thanks John- I forgot to mention that Saddle Soap (I use Feibings) first to get out the debris and soften the leather- and I open the tin of sno-seal and place it a dish of very hot water to soften it up-I do more waterfowling nowadays than grouse "chasing" so the Russell Birdshooters get plenty of "downtime" in the Fall-but when I wear them, never have worn anything more comfortable outdoors yet on my feet- well worth the $ spent!!
Pecard
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Kent Nickerson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Pecard

This one rubbed with Pecard out of the tub with the little red Duck on it...

This is a fine dressing....kept my Imperials and zip back Russells flexible for many years and these old Carters have killed some turkeys and birds.

Years ago I dressed jesses with bacon grease...but learned that straight fresh Crisco was better. Try Pecard.
Kent Nickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kent Nickerson For Your Post:
Bacon Grease- maybe not today
Unread 10-17-2009, 07:38 AM   #10
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Bacon Grease- maybe not today

This is a fine dressing....kept my Imperials and zip back Russells flexible for many years and these old Carters have killed some turkeys and birds.

Years ago I dressed jesses with bacon grease...but learned that straight fresh Crisco was better. Try Pecard. Thanks Kent, I forgot about that brand. I heard something at last night's poker game (Friday 10/16) a new member to the "Busted Flushers" with gun deer season only a month away, here in MI we are "encouraged" to take any feral pigs we might encounter. He has had some experience hunting them in other States- mentioned that a sure fire way to attract feral pigs is to fry up until crisp a pound of bacon and place it in a mesh bag upwind several hundred yards from your stand- apparently that draws feral pigs in like bears go for blueberries. So perhaps a bacon grease odor on the Imperials or Bird Shooters may not be the way to go. Hunting grouse in heavy cover with your 28 gauge DHE and number 8 shot- and you are charged by a wild pig- certainly would make for quite an experience.