Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 05-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Humm, I guess if you have not hunted grouse you have not hunted at all. Swells.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #22
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,277 Times in 2,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Anderson View Post
Hunting Grouse, Woodcock or any upland bird for that matter without a dog is just an armed walk in the woods/fields. A good dog is far more important than the gun, I'd rather hunt with a solid pointer and an Iver Johnson single shot full choked 12GA than a Holland & Holland Royal 20 with short tubes, open chokes and no canine companion.
Amen brother Rich. That Iver Johnson is nothing more than a single barrel hammer gun. Who other than you can afford to hunt with a H&H Royal 20? You dog guys know the feeling when you make a nice shot on a bird, be it a woodcock, grouse, pheasant,dove, duck,goose, or any gamebird. Your dog dives into the heavy cover and emerges with the bird in his mouth. That moment is all about the dog and you realize that it would'nt be as much fun without him. You break open your favorite double gun then bend down to accept the bird from him. That's what I'm talking about. At that moment life is good.
Daryl Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daryl Corona For Your Post:
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #23
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have trudged through the fields hunting Pheasants as a much younger person when there were Pheasants to trudge after and I have busted through the Alder thickets for Grouse all with out the benefit of a dog, but no more. I enjoy a fine shotgun ALMOST as much as good dog work. If you companion is well trained you both will spend more time hunting birds instead of each other. Then there is the issue of finding birds as the worst dog has a better nose than we do (Dean may be an exception) and what about the cripples that the dog can find far better than us. I can recall on more than one occasion where the dog has returned with a bird that I though was missed. Last but not least is the pride in hunting with a companion you have trained and cared for possibly for years, given and received unconditional love and respect for each other abilities and faults.

At the end of the day an "Armed walk in the woods" is better than no walk in the woods but a walk in the woods with a fine shotgun and your best friend scouring the cover for scent...priceless.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #24
ch
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Well said Richard, Hate to here about Gunner. Last season I was hunting some tall thick stuff lot of birds in it couldn't see out. Shot at a couple we move on hunt some more spots around the tall stuff. Get done, me and Sam head back to the pickup Sam points I walk up nothing flushes something moves Sam grabs it it's a phesant I didn't even know I got. Broke wing broke leg still alive moving on one leg. A fine moment in hunting. I have hunted a lot without dog. But the man dog team is very enjoyable.
calvin humburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #25
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

My little buddy Gunner. I have shared a hunt with no finer companion and been privaledged to do so for 14 seasons now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gunner looking hard.JPG (175.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg gunner 2.jpg (504.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg gunner 009.jpg (42.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg gunner 010.jpg (39.1 KB, 161 views)
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich Anderson For Your Post:
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Rich looks me as if you are bothering Gunner from his nap taking his picture and in that last picture he is saying "Get Lost"
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #27
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,089 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
For both ruffed grouse and woodcock my preferred gun is a 28-ga. DHE Parker Reproduction choked IC/M. The country we hunt them in is pretty thick, it is not unusual to have to carry the gun in one hand while pushing branches and trees out of the way in order to get through, so a light well-balanced gun is preferred for all day carrying. I typically shoot 3/4 oz. of #7 1/2's as it doesn't take much to bring them down, the real challenge is getting a good shot off. Here's a pic of the type of habitat that we find Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock in in the Lake States. The 2nd pic is of my English Setter Winston, stopping to point another Woodcock while retrieving a Woodcock. Unfortunately, I missed the shot on the 2nd bird--darn it!
Robin, "Lake states" you hunt Michigan or Wisconsin? If you do why the hell haven't you let us know......Maybe we could have gotten together for a hunt.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #28
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Grouse chicks have hatched and most of the best New England coverts are being pounded with torrential downpours...

One of the biggest causes of grouse chick mortality is pnuemonia from these long soaking rains.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #29
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Grouse chicks have hatched and most of the best New England coverts are being pounded with torrential downpours...

One of the biggest causes of grouse chick mortality is pnuemonia from these long soaking rains.

sadly too true

as one biologist said

"a wet chick is a dead chick"
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #30
ed good
On Vacation

Member Info

nice thread! brings back lots of memories...
ed good is offline   Reply With Quote