Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM   #11
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

aint been crow hunting in several days...willgo this week you bows got me all revved up...got a 3 inch elsie i need to try out... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
I'm heading out right now to an area dairy farm
Unread 02-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I'm heading out right now to an area dairy farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
aint been crow hunting in several days...willgo this week you bows got me all revved up...got a 3 inch elsie i need to try out... charlie
Use crow dekes and somedove dekes for Barn Pigeons- feeding on spread cow poop in the snow- but I think- Model 12 weather here- let you know later- a 3" 12 Elsie and a "Black Duck"--sorts like bowling with a wrecking ball, but lotsa fun-and agree 100% with brother lester- no better target awing that a crow--but why stop at just one??
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

The hunting days are limited because you are only allowed so many days shooting, do to a treaty with Mexico I believe.
Some states will allow hunting a few days a week so to offer the most opportunity for hunters.
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

huntem even on sunday in ole miss. byt there is a season on them unless they are bothering your garden.... charlie
Unread 02-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #15
Theodore LeDurt
Forum Associate

Member Info

We lay a 3-D deer target on the snow and sprinkle a little ketchup around. Sit back light our cigars and ooh and ah over each others guns while waiting for "candidates".
Theodore LeDurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Just don't be killing that big, white-headed bird coming into the deer decoy
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #17
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore LeDurt View Post
We lay a 3-D deer target on the snow and sprinkle a little ketchup around. Sit back light our cigars and ooh and ah over each others guns while waiting for "candidates".
I like that one, it would work good for us in the spring season.
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #18
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Aaron Beck View Post
Looks like some very successful shoots. Do they come in all at once or over the course of a day? Guess Ill need some decoys too. Thanks for the helpful pointers
Yes

Sometimes they come in multiples, usually a few together but sometimes you find a mob of dozens even a hundred + swirling around overhead. Frankly that sucks, two shots, maybe one more and they are gone. Better to have singles and doubles come in every few minutes. There have been plenty of times we shoot some, then have an hour or an hour and a half of nothing in sight, we think about heading home and then they come in steady again for awhile. They share a similiar trait with ducks, you can go a long time without seeing any, hours, step outside the blind to pickup your decoys and there will be a crow trying to come in to the decoy spread when you are exposed.
Pete Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #19
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

sure enjoying this bunch of crow hunting fellas and there methods....willtry some of these methods maybe tommorrow...what time of the day do most of you fellas like to start the hunt....charlie
Good question there Charlie-
Unread 02-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #20
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Good question there Charlie-

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
sure enjoying this bunch of crow hunting fellas and there methods....willtry some of these methods maybe tommorrow...what time of the day do most of you fellas like to start the hunt....charlie
For me- being retired- anytime after breakfast up until about Beer-thirty-- Pete is 100% right- camo is a must- I always use a face net--just like for hunting turkeys- and singles and small groups are your best shooting--but you have to be prepared for whatever-

All of God's critters have an "Achilles heel"- a weakness or trait that if you learn what it is, you can use that to your advantage- Deer don't usually look up, so elevated stands often help you bag a buck (where legal)-- Tom turkeys are like High School football players eyeballin' the Cheerleaders in their short skirts--they both have pretty much one thing in mind--

Crows are very smart, have keen eyesight, and a wary of man by nature. I have seen them fly off and then back to a dead carcass if the farmer goes by on his John Deere pulling the poop wagon-- but you walk out there with a gun in hand, hoping to pick off a few, and they skedaddle- Their biggest weakness is cowardice- IMO- no one crow will go after an owl or hawk, they'll wait for a gang and then mob attack- safety in numbers-- this is where having a well concealed group with repeating shotguns can run up a good score- allowing for multiple hits-- But one tip for sure- if you get a single coming in quietly and circling, make sure he's well within range and kill him, if not and he sees something amiss, or you shoot and miss- he'll alert the rest of the gang and you can kiss that set-up and change to score goodbye--

Crows are all wing and feathers- very little body mass=- so I like a 12 mod or full with No. 8 skeet loads 1 & 1/8 oz. And as they will die and be consumed by the Airborne prize patrol later, I don't waste shells finishing cripples- often crippled crows moving across a field will attract other crows within range- Good shootin'--
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote