Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Certainly more woodcock then grouse
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #31
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Certainly more woodcock then grouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Good to know Tom. A good friend owns 80 acres in Belfast and has offered to allow me to hunt there. He is also on very good terms with his neighbors on all three sides and they have sizable chunks of land too. That's coastal Downeast Maine and is known for it's woodcock numbers. Maybe I'll try it some year soon.

We hunted a small parcel (10 acres) of land one year in early Fall and two of us had our limits of woodcock within minutes. I think we had 18 flush within ten minutes of hitting the cover. Those were all resident birds. That indeed was a special day. I'll see if I can dig out a photo or two and post it. Dogs were going insane. Haven't had that kind of action here in the east ever. Have had equal to that on pheasants in both ND, Kansas and Montana in the past.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #32
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,035 Times in 1,168 Posts

Reminds me of the H.P. Sheldon story "Advice of Counsel"

DLH
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #33
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Yes Destry, and do you remember "The W. D. A."?
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #34
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Umm..?? Dean?

Destry isn't as old as you, apparently - and neither am I..??? You mean Roosevelt's W.P.A.??? Dang - that was in the 30's or something..??

Hells Bells - I'm not even so sure my parents remember W.P.A.??

JD
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #35
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

John, time to get thee to an eye doctor

Read my post one more time and you will see that I typed W. D. A. Which was for the Woodcock Demolishers Association.
Unread 08-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #36
John D.
PGCA Lifer
Admin

Member Info

Thanked 4,162 Times in 825 Posts

Oh - thank gawd it's my eyes that are going...

HA!!! HEH!!!

And seriously - I need to figure out distances from this thread.... But - you want to maybe go West for a week this fall? I think it's only a 12 hour drive for you and me..?? And we'll take my Jeep and one of my dogs - and some Parkers?

John
John Dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #37
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

"The W. D. A." was written by John Alden Knight and appeared in his book WOODCOCK published in 1944. It begins; "There is an affliction that lays its heavy hand from time to time on those who indulge in the outdoor sports. A by-product of nervous tension, it sometimes has the capacity to reduce its victim to an axaggerated condition of inarticulation, wobbly knees and all-around jitters. Although the symptoms are generally the same, to a greater or less degree, this unfortunate malady manifests itself variously, its expression varying both with the temperament of the individual and the situation in hand. Generally, it is known as buck fever, but it does not confine itself to deer hunting. Even in so mild and delightful a sport as woodcock shooting, it is apt to rear its ugly visage - often with deplorable results." ergo the W. D. A.

John - once again, thanks so much for honoring me with your kind invite to head west for some fezzant shooting this fall but I fear I must decline as all of my vacation time this year has been "spoken for". In the future I would be tickled to make such a trip with you.

I think twelve hours wouldn't get you much beyond Cleveland . . . probably not to Toledo.