Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 03-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #61
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Jerry McCarty -

You are correct; the stretch off the mainstem of the Potomac River lying between Fort Washington and Marshall Hall is indeed south of Henry Bartholemew's farm, lying between Swan and Broad Creeks to the north. I actually located the property one afternoon in late winter by cruising neighborhood streets in the subdivision just south of Riverview Rd. off of Fort Washington Rd. which runs north-south off of Indian Head HWY south of I-495.
I eventually came to a street running E-W that had houses on the south side but large open fields to the north. This may have been Riverview Rd.; I don't remember since its been years ago. Broad Creek would have been north of these large open fields; Swan Creek Rd. is further south by at least a half hour. As I drove along, I remarked how the south side of the street had been built up but that the north side had remained open fields.
About that time I passed a pair of brick pillars on which were hung a pair of large wrought iron gates. In the center of each gate was a large oval framing the letter B. The letters faced each other like a true mirror image; sort a pair of stylized Greek letter Betas. I'm virtually certain that this gate was one of the entrances to the Bartholemew estate.

Nothing else was visible over the aspect of the field elevations, which is why I was equally certain that the property fell away to the creek to the north. This has been at least 10-12 years ago; I have no idea what disposition of the property is today.

BTW, are you any relation to John S. McCarty, perhaps the first President of the newly-minted American Trapshooting Association in the late 19-teens; early 1920's? If so, we need to talk - I'm pretty sure I have his Parker BHE trap gun.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #62
Jerry McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Kevin,

I'd have to retrace my steps as well to know if where I hunted was along the shoreline of where you found the Bartholemew farm however I think I recall there being an old 4 board fence underneath all of the overgrowth. It was definitely an older house that sat on this property. The shoreline however, was fairly featureless as I remember it.

No relation to John S. McCarty that I'm aware of. Do you know where he lived?

BTW - I'm the guy who lives in Oakton with the duck boat occasionally parked out front.... Would like to talk double guns & hunting over coffee sometime if you care to.

-Jerry
Jerry McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #63
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Yeah; we see each other at the Chantilly show regularly. Me and my bunch will not be there in April because we're all going to the Southern SxS in Sanford NC. But we will be back in force for the July Chantilly show. Also catch us at the upcoming Old Baltimore Show March 20-21 at the Fairgrounds at Timonium MD; tables B4 & 5 A full 800 tables of antique arms with NO jewelry, black guns, beanie babies, ratchet tool sets, tac rails, laser sights, or bulk mil ammo! - Think of it - a REAL old-time gun show!! See you there.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #64
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Yup, as Kevin implies, the Bartholomew digs are on Riverview Drive. The property was on the Maryland Farm Tour several years ago, open to the public for a weekend. I found out about it too late. I thought it was an annual event with the same itinerary. I was wrong, the itinerary changes every year. A couple of our members have been to the property when Henry's guns were being sold. I don't know if they have been back since. In fact, the pictured box of shells came from the Bartholomew home.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote