Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 12-05-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

It's been in the same place as the Czar's gun and the third Invincible were - squirreled safely away from prying eyes and fumbling hands.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #12
George Lander
Forum Associate

Member Info

David: We both know that the smith / stockmaker that worked on Bo-Whoop is as straight as an arrow. He had Mr. Callahan's letter with the owner's name removed. South Georgia sounds about right.

Dean: The story that I got says that after Nash and his frien came up out of the swamp a game warden was checking their bag and their guns. He laid Bo-Whoop on the fender and Nash and his friend forgot about it and drove off, probably running over the gun in the process. When they arrived back at their cabin, some miles away, they realized that they had left the gun and hurried back to search but to no avail. The state police and even the National Guard was summoned and a generous reward offered but no Bo-Whoop.
I was told that it has been in the present owner's family possession for many years and has been hunted with regularly. I don't believe that the finder knew who the gun belonged to and was not disclosed until the letter was obtained from Mr. Callahan.

Just My Humble Opinion.........George
George Lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,040 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
It's been in the same place as the Czar's gun and the third Invincible were - squirreled safely away from prying eyes and fumbling hands.
Kevin, do you mean to say it has been in the posession of the old widow on Long Island?
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 01:02 AM   #14
MarketHunter
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,158 Posts

If it's the real deal and the right folks get involved I think there's a good chance of a record selling price for an American shotgun in the offing.

As far as the Spiller gun goes, it only meant something to grouse hunters who are a pretty small fraternity. This is the gun of the most famous American waterfowler that ever lived or will ever live. It's been written about, researched, slavered and drooled about for over 50 years. The Spiller gun was just a well worn Parker that belonged to a fairly well known writer, this is Bo-Whoop we're talking about.....

I'm interested to see what provenance the auction house produces. Needless to say, I ain't player, but it will be a fun tale to follow.

Destry
I was as virtuously given as a gentleman need to be; virtuous enough; swore little; diced not above seven times a week; went to a bawdy-house once in a quarter--of an hour; paid money that I borrowed, three of four times; lived well and in good compass: and now I live out of all order, out of all compass. Falstaff - Henry IV
Destry L. Hoffard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #15
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destry L. Hoffard View Post
If it's the real deal and the right folks get involved I think there's a good chance of a record selling price for an American shotgun in the offing.

As far as the Spiller gun goes, it only meant something to grouse hunters who are a pretty small fraternity.

I disagree with you on that point Destry but I agree with you on the rest of your post. Dean

This is the gun of the most famous American waterfowler that ever lived or will ever live. It's been written about, researched, slavered and drooled about for over 50 years. The Spiller gun was just a well worn Parker that belonged to a fairly well known writer, this is Bo-Whoop we're talking about.....

I'm interested to see what provenance the auction house produces. Needless to say, I ain't player, but it will be a fun tale to follow.

Destry
Unread 12-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #16
Forrest Smith
Forum Associate

Member Info

One thing to consider as far as media hype-you and I know who Nash Buckingham was, but today's general public (and even most of today hunting public) don't. Everyone knew of the Czar of Russia. The Czar Parker was also a very showy, photo friendly gun-this one somewhat less so by the very nature of its make and creed. Are their any dealers who identify themselves maninly as Fox Dealers the way Puglisi does himself with Parkers? I'd think they would buy it as an investment & adverstising that they are the premier dealer of Foxes.
Forrest Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,783 Times in 4,718 Posts

Jack Puglisi changed the whole "key shotgun" market when he paid a price for the Czar's Gun based on his rolodex rather than on the general shotgun market or based on what the gun was worth to him as a collector. This will be the criteria on which the price of Bo Whoop will be based. That eliminates the average wealthy collector from the bidding. At least we'll get a good look at the old girl. I had a chance to own the "Award Gun" but turned it down based on what I thought was not that important a piece of waterfowling history.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #18
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Bro' Murphy is, once again, absolutely correct...
Unread 12-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
Donnie Reels
Forum Associate

Member Info

What does Mr. Buckingham famley say about this? If the gun was lost and everyone at the time was looking for it I think the gun is as good as stolen. For years everyone has looked for the gun and the guy that had new what he had. I agree with Mr. Roman They need to give the gun back.
Donnie Reels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #20
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

I think Bill Jaqua beat Mr. Puglisi by about 15 years when he bought the "Little Persuader" 28 Ga Parker, paying something like $100K. People thought he was crazy, until the transaction ended up in the center column of the WSJ,validating high quality guns as an investment alternative. He resold the gun within a month, if I'm not mistaken
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote