Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 07-27-2016, 08:55 AM   #41
JJ Roberts
Forum Associate

Member Info

George,New England Custom Gun Service Ltd.has them for sale and Brownell also has a Bisley gunsmithing vise made in Germany. J.J.
James J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit James J. Roberts's homepage!
Unread 07-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #42
High Brass
Forum Associate

Member Info

Great! Thanks.
George Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #43
JJ Roberts
Forum Associate

Member Info

The vise was originality designed by Parker Hale,I would think that's the one Gary Cooper used on his bench. J.J.
James J. Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit James J. Roberts's homepage!
Unread 07-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #44
High Brass
Forum Associate

Member Info

I'll try to find a Parker Hale.
George Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #45
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

new version

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod26704.aspx
Unread 07-27-2016, 03:49 PM   #46
Terry Hobson
Forum Associate

Member Info

Seems like I remember Dave Riffle having a CHE 20 that was advertised as having been purchased by Lombard and given to Gable. This would have been in the mid '90s, $12,000 if I remember right. Always wished I would have borrowed the money and bought it!
Terry Hobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2016, 08:05 PM   #47
Thomas R. Leslie IV
PGCA Member

Member Info

Excellent photos!
Thomas R. Leslie IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2016, 08:40 PM   #48
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dugan View Post
I held Clark Gables A1 Special while visiting
Ottis Odom in 1985, Mr Odom said there was a million dollars in Parkers in that room. I did not know much about Parkers at that time but he had a lot of small gauge
Parkers. HE said he was the best customer of the
Delgrego family getting Parkers fixed and upgraded.
That would be Odis Odom.

Just before the break-in and burglary when 2 local thugs terrorized his wife, Odis' count was, I believe, 68 28 gauge Parkers and 42 .410 gauge Parkers.

While the thugs never even knew about his guns or where they were hidden, they so terrorized his wife (he wasn't home at the time) that he immediately began to sell off his most valuable guns, contemplating what might have happened to his wife had the thieves known that he had them.

Odis was a prime client of the Del Gregos, but does not hold the record for having Parkers "fixed" and upgraded by them.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #49
Jim Thynne
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

We were able to exhibit Robert Stack's guns while we were in business. Little Johns Auction held the sale. Bob Peterson bought his unfired DHE 410 and Mr. Peterson and a group (John Milius Tom Selleck and Brad Johnson) went out and shot a round of skeet with it. Bob had won a VHE 410 when he won the Jr. Skeet Shooting Championship, and traded it in for the DHE 410. a great story about a wonderful man. I knew Robert Stack and he was a true gentleman. I have no idea where the DHE 410 ended up.
Jim Thynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Thynne For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #50
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Hello Jim - great to see you post and hear from you again!

Like most or all famous guns (Bo Whoop, the Czar's Parker, Teddy Roosevelt's Fox, etc.), lots of the details of ownership and ultimate disposition get lost in the "fog of war", so to speak. I can offer the following clarifications for the record:

In a phone conversation with Robert Stack in January of 2001 while researching southern California duck clubs, he told me that when he won the Junior Skeet Shooting Championship, the award gun was a 20 gauge LC Smith Skeet Special. Long a fan of Parker Guns, he was put in touch with the "right people" in Ilion, and arranged to trade the LC Smith award gun against an order for a BHE 28 ga. Parker skeet gun with all options - ST, VR, etc. This gun was purchased by Bob Peterson at the auction of Stack's estate and is now part of the Peterson Collection display at the NRA National Firearms Museum in Fairfax, VA.

The DHE .410 is even a more interesting story. The gun department of Kerr's Sporting Goods in Beverly Hills was for many years run by a man named Gerry Knight, who was instrumental in schmoozing with Hollywood stars and celebrities in the sale of high-end guns of all makes and kinds. In Bob Stack's words, Gerry "really made Kerr's so far as the sale of wonderful guns was concerned." Around 1940-41, Kerr's ordered and was shipped a DHE .410 for inventory from the Remington works at Ilion.

In a phone conversation with Gerry Knight (c. 2002), he confessed that he developed an obsession with owning the little gun, and began putting away significant sums of money every payday towards the purchase of it, which with his not-insignificant employee discount, looked like it could one day become a reality. He said lots of people looked at the gun; most men derided it as "pretty much of a useless toy"; while most women thought it looked "cute." The net result was that it sat in the rack for weeks without anyone buying it.

One fateful day, Bob Stack came in and browsed the gunrack, saw the little jewel. and told Gerry, "that's about the sweetest little Parker I've ever seen - I'll take it!" Being the dutiful and productive employee that he was, Gerry wrote it up!

So far as I know, Bob Peterson bought all 3 of Bob Stack's Parkers at the Littlejohn auction - the DHE .410, the BHE 28 gauge skeet gun, and the 20 all-optioned DHE with AH-grade wood special ordered from Remington after the purchase of the BHE 28. The BHE 28 and the DHE 20 remain on display in the Peterson Collection at the NRA Museum; I don't know where or with whom the DHE .410 wound up.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post: