Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 10-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #11
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
Like Kevin, I too give my bores a good sloshing of solvent and let them sit overnight muzzles down. In fact I do this with rifle and pistol. After they are cleaned and put up I go back in about three days and clean them again just to make sure all is well.
Cleaning shotguns is a piece of cake compared to my rifle cleaning regime. If it a new to me used rifle it begins with 25 passes of a Hoppes soaked brush followed by three passes with a clean patch each time . And this is repeated eight times for a total of 200 passes with a Hoppes soaked brush . After the 200 are done sometimes after the bore is dry I’ll go back with Hoppes Copper or Sweets 7.62 solvent on a nylon brush with the copper solvent I make a pass wait a minute or two and a clean patch normally I’ll make 8-10 passes with the copper stuff . And after I’m done with the copper stuff and think I’ve gotten it out as best I could I’ll then take a clean Hoppes #9 soaked patch wrapped on a bronze brush thru a couple passes then a dry patch thru a couple times . This sounds like a lot a trouble and may be more then you need but it’s done wonders on many used rifles I’ve bought that looked a skoosh rough inside and came out spotless and then (with handloads) shot some amazing groups for what they were . I did leave out that I generally use a bore guide , but have done it without and came out fine , of course that’s from the chamber end .