Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 07-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #31
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Tom...Wow thats very informative and I love the pictures. I always wondered the type of wood that was on my repro's that look just like this wood pictured. I own a couple DHE grades with wood just like this. I had asked about wood types on my repro's and no one had good answers. Im thinking they used both claro and cal. english for most all of the repro's. Thinking about that Im sure there are more above average claro than english stocked guns availible, we see fewer realy nice above average english stocked guns for sale. I like both of these wood types but would choose the light and dark streeked cal. english...(-: They sure did use some great wood on them P.R. guns!!!! I think I have some pictures to share of my wood...will add them next post....Thanks all...SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Parker repro pics...
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Parker repro pics...

Hope they upload....(-:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg repro 28 set SG-DT-SF set 003.jpg (417.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Copy (2) of repro 20-BTF kids 003.jpg (382.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg stock wood...repros 005.jpg (439.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg stock wood...repros 006.jpg (481.3 KB, 3 views)
Unread 07-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #33
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Graft View Post
Hope they upload....(-:
Now I gotta ask. How did those hot dog buns migrate into the area where the guns are stored?

PS. Many years ago I talked to Richard Skeuse (Hope I'm spelling the name correctly). I had a Parker 20 gauge Repro with 28" barrels, DT and choked full/mod. Claro walnut on the gun was amazing. I somehow managed to track Richard down and ask him about the different types and grades of walnut used. As I recall he said the grades of Walnut went from grade 1 (low) to grade 5 (high). My gun was indeed a grade 5 on the Claro scale. California English was also used and was also graded (don't know if it was 1-5 however). I believe all the wood was supplied by Calico Hardwoods and that wood was shipped to Japan. BTW, Calico hardwoods was also supplying the high grade claro walnut that was used on the Weatherby Athena and Orion O/U's being built by SKB at that same time.

Double PS. I actually sold the Parker one day because it was much heavier then what a 20 gauge needed to be. 6 lb 12 oz as I recall.
tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #34
Rex Northen
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Addison View Post
I saw this gun in person at the Ohio Gun Collectors show and it is as nice as it looks in the pictures. The grouse on the bottom is wonderful job of engraving as is the rest of the gun. My only problem was the German Shorthair on one side. Me being a setter guy I'd have to add a tail on that dog!
Gerry,

Were you able to ascertain that the 16 gauge barrels were the original Kreighoff barrels?
Rex Northen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #35
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

The best place to take gun pics is on our larg well lit kitchen counter.....buns are known to be seen there...(-:
Unread 08-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #36
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Looking at the above pictures one can clearly see claro walnut and the mutch differnt california englsh walnut. I like the english better most of the time but some extra nice flame/feather croch found in the claro can be outstanding!!! The wood found on my repro's is by default...I selected buying my guns with double triggers and the 14 1/4 to 14 3/8 pull, and prefer pistol grips. Wood type or how nice was not the a issue for me. I use hunt and shoot my guns, wood quality is a nice extra! Most repro's have respectable wood and many have way nice wood. The wood to metal fit is top shelf workmanship, if only they would have used hand rubed oil.........(-: SXS ohio
Unread 08-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #37
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,059 Times in 279 Posts

I didn't look at the 16GA barrels as I knew I wasn't going to buy the gun. Sorry, if I had read all of this before the show I would have looked it over more carefully. I will say it is a very nice gun and from what I've read I believe they are "K" barrels and not the Merkel barrels Galazan sold.
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #38
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

I asked the seller and they are Merkel barrels...not factory repro.....Still a very nice set indeed. SXS ohio
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #39
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Graft View Post
I asked the seller and they are Merkel barrels...not factory repro.....Still a very nice set indeed. SXS ohio
Hmmm . . . his advertisement says they're Krieghoff barrels, this isn't surprising though as this seller has some problems getting his listings accurate. Here's another Repro he has listed with several errors. He was informed of the inaccuracies, but has not changed the ads. He does come up with some great guns, but inaccurate listings surely doesn't help his credibility. Caveat emptor.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Par...n_id=100263118