Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 08-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Walt
The forearm lever on my repro does not stay seated after a few rounds and starts to open outward. Forearm stays on but the lever comes out about a 1/16th of an inch at most. Caught my glove on it and gun came apart with ejectors set etc and had to finesse it back together. I had the good fortune to speak with a SxS gunsmith in Woodstock Vt. Who said it was a common problem with the forearem lug being angled needing adjustment and no problem to fix- no soldering etc. the problem does result in forearms coming off when the gun is fired on some guns. I was relieved and will drop my gun off to him this week
Good luck
Eric Grims is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #22
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Grims View Post
Walt
The forearm lever on my repro does not stay seated after a few rounds and starts to open outward. Forearm stays on but the lever comes out about a 1/16th of an inch at most. Caught my glove on it and gun came apart with ejectors set etc and had to finesse it back together. I had the good fortune to speak with a SxS gunsmith in Woodstock Vt. Who said it was a common problem with the forearem lug being angled needing adjustment and no problem to fix- no soldering etc. the problem does result in forearms coming off when the gun is fired on some guns. I was relieved and will drop my gun off to him this week
Good luck
That's good to know...thanks, and let us know how it turned out and how much it cost!
ron belanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Jackson View Post
I had one of those throwers for years and it worked great ,it was mounted on a 1979 F 150 Wheel and Tire , VERY HEAVY ! My newest thrower which I have had for about eight years I got at Cabelas ,and it mounts neatly on a 4X4 Wolmanized post cemented in the ground just behind the schrubbery off the Lower Patio ! Very convenient ,and I walk out every other day or so and shoot a half dozen clays ,just to keep ready for Hunting Season !
Now THAT is living right!
Unread 08-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I took the gun in today and my good luck he worked on it as I waited. Some hardened grease on the base of the forfend but the problem lay in what I believe is called the forfend tumbler not seating well in the hook of the tang. There was a fair amount of daylight seen in the fit after he removed the wood and reattached the forearm mechanism. He file fitted the tumbler bit by bit and fine tuned the tang at the end of the process and got a much better snap closure. We stopped there and I am going to put some rounds through it and see. If still a problem I will bring it back for more.
A nice visit and I learned a bit. Also got a nice tutorial on British doubles and handled some guns I don't get to see every day.
Unread 08-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #25
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Oops. For some reason I said tang and meant to say lug. Sorry for the confusion.
Unread 08-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #26
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Shot the gun today 50 rds sporting 25 skeet and all is well and forearm and lever held tight no movement.
Unread 10-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Shot the gun today 50 rds sporting 25 skeet and all is well and forearm and lever held tight no movement.
I took my Repro out today hunting pheasant and though I didn't fire at any birds, I did find a fat pumpkin (leftover in a Management area field) to take my frustrations out on...

First couple of shots were fine...third shot the forend lever opened a bit...Closed it up...4th shot the whole forend fell at my feet!

Gman, would you be so kind as to give me the gunsmith's name and number in Woodstock, VT?

Looks like a drive is in order for some filing work...

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a competent gunsmith any closer to Southern NH than Woodstock VT?? I can't bring my gun to just anyone...
Unread 10-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #28
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

It is Daniel Morgan 802 457 4828. He specializes in English guns and to my knowledge he readily works on many other double guns. Myself and others I shoot with find him to be a valuable resource.
Good luck!
Unread 10-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #29
Walt Kowalski
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
It is Daniel Morgan 802 457 4828. He specializes in English guns and to my knowledge he readily works on many other double guns. Myself and others I shoot with find him to be a valuable resource.
Good luck!
Eric, I have an appointment with Daniel tomorrow morning at 11:30 to get my Parker Repro fixed! I am psyched!

My Girlfriend's birthday tomorrow so we're driving up and going to lunch in Woodstock while he works on the gun...Thanks for the info on Daniel!
Unread 10-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #30
gman
Forum Associate

Member Info

I know the bummer when a favorite gun isn't functioning and the relief when a good repair puts it back on line. Good luck