Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 01-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #101
billie bryant
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Paul, Petersen provenance is less important than the fact that Petersen's guns are the cream of the crop in some cases. Visit the NFM and you will wonder how he accumulated his guns. It seems like one man couldn't possibly do it. I have not seen the Petersen Automotive Museum, but it is probably the same "cream of the crop" type of collection.
bill you hit the nail on the head! bob after about 3 yrs. collecting guns went to a different level as he decided if it was not perfect, rare & had provenance he would pass? his machine gun collection was best in world & he was a tue gentleman when he passed, as 85% of collection went to NRA & winchester museum & rest went to auctions?
billie bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:07 AM   #102
billie bryant
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ehlers View Post
Bill,

I totally agree with you about Bob Peterson. He was a one of a kind collector and gentleman. He also had the financial where with all to purchase the best & most special of everything. This BHE .410 repro being one of them. It's quite possibly the nicest and one of the rarest of the Parker repro's.

The point that I was trying to make was that Bob is very well known to us now, but how many will truly remember him a generation from now?

As far as the gun goes:
We all know what it sold for at auction just a few weeks ago and now it's the seller that is making a big deal out of it being ordered by Bob Peterson for his collection. When I read the ad I took it that the seller thinks the gun is worth over double what he paid for it because of the provenance. IMO the seller is just fishing hoping to find the right buyer that doesn't know or care that the gun was just hammered at auction for less than half of the asking price.

What is an acceptable profit margin and where does the line get drawn for being ripped off? Only each of as indivduals can answer that question for themselves. If someone buy's this gun at the asking price and is good with it so am I & I wish them the best.

One thing for sure though is the internet has changed the game considerably. A few years ago we wouldn't have know instantly the auction sale price or would we be having this discussion about it.

I just wish one of the members here would have won the auction and been able to put the gun in his collection. Then we would have been congratulating him for winning it, rather than talking about someone trying to hit a home run profit wise.
i understand how you must feel but i knew & hunted with bob over the years in africa & here & have quite a few of his guns, i am not a dlr. but a hunter & collector & yes i sold 410 for for asking price but it is amazing i do not know for sure but i believe it has sold again for a 3500 dollar profit? i have lost on some of my guns & others done well but i do not mind someone making any amount of profit as we all have paid too much for something in this hobby? but you are totally correct in your assesement of bob petersen he was a true gentleman & marge his wife was a great lady also!
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #103
billie bryant
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shepherd View Post
I believe that as long as the seller is not misrepresenting the guns he should ask for them what he thinks he can get for them. If he makes a mistake at an auction and pays too much for a gun he will probably be the one to take the financial whipping. If he makes a good deal at an auction I don't see that it obligates him to sell at less than he can get for the gun.

I have owned a small business for twenty nine years and have fielded many questions from individuals about prices being high. When it came time to make Friday payroll or pay the note at the bank I noticed I was always alone and on my own. The selling price is independent of what the product cost the seller in my opinion.

Best,

Mike
MIKE: thank you ! i sincerely apprciate hearing someone explain it as i have always felt? i like you worked hard all my life & was lucky enough to know & workfor bob petersen for quite afew yrs. before i started my own comp. & being successful has had it,s advantages when it comes to my favorite hobby in the world hunting & collecting!the lil BHE 410 went to a great home for what i was aking & then just a few days ago went to a better home? thanks, billie
Unread 01-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #104
billie bryant
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Kenny, I don't know when the auction ends, but your bid is way less than the gun is worth. Some of those guns have sold in the twenties. This is my dream gun, but I don't have time to fool with it, but I think you should. Go for it. Go up to the low twenties without any fear of losing money.
well said bill, i sincerely thought i was going to have to go into the twentys to own it? when it stopped at 10,000 i felt very lucky as i have lost alot thinking the same on other guns!haha! i believe we all have?
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #105
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,718 Posts

Mr. Bryant, when my schedule or checkbook prevents me from participating, I can only give "sage advice". Sage advice in this case was "go into the twenties and you will be pleased". This gun is still my dream gun and I would purchase it from its present owner if he feels generous.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote