Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

28 Gauge Winchester/Parker Reproduction
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
Graham Mason
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default 28 Gauge Winchester/Parker Reproduction

Here of late I have been reading a little about the 28 gauge Winchester/Parker reproductions.

Just wondering what the Parker fans thought of them?From what I understand the parts would interchange with a real Parker.Is this correct?

When were these 28 gauge shotguns produced and how many were manufactured?

Any other information would be of interest.
Graham Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Mr. Mason,I and many others here think very highly of the Parker Repro. I own and shoot a 28ga. 26" gun with pistol grip and single trigger(wish it was a double trigger)They are a well built and are becoming very collectible and are growing in value.
Unread 08-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,600 Times in 984 Posts

It has been reported that there were 4,203 28-ga. DHE's produced.

I have what I believe is a complete collection of Parker Reproduction brochures, in some of these brochures it states that "all parts are interchangable with the originals" and in a couple of other brochures it states that "most parts are interchangable with the originals".

Last edited by Greg Baehman; 08-02-2009 at 04:12 PM..
Greg Baehman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 06:08 PM   #4
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

I believe all Parker Repros were made from around 1983 to 1988. They made 28, 20 and 12 gauge guns, in 1, 2 and even a few 3 bbl sets, with lots of options (bbl length, chokes, grip, type of forend and single or double triggers), even some 20/16 ga 2 bbl sets in DHE, BHE and A-1 Special grades. In some ways they are superior to original Parkers, like modern stock dimensions, modern steel, many had fabulous wood, steel shot compatible and of course, less expensive. But, alas, less hand fitting and finishing. They even came with a fine Emmebi leather hard case with a canvas cover and snap caps.
Joe
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Graham Mason
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Mr. Mason,I and many others here think very highly of the Parker Repro. I own and shoot a 28ga. 26" gun with pistol grip and single trigger(wish it was a double trigger)They are a well built and are becoming very collectible and are growing in value.
Dave,just wondering why you would like the double trigger better than the single trigger on your Winchester/Parker 28 gauge?Did they have trouble with the single trigger?
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Autumn Daze
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,727 Posts

Mr Mason,Although the single trigger in my Repro has been completely trouble free so far I like the versatility of a double trigger gun. Single triggers in a double gun can be troublesome if they get out of wack.There are only a few gunsmiths that fully understand the workings of a Parker single trigger.

There is no simpler trigger mechanism than a double trigger....and simple is good
Unread 08-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Graham Mason
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Suponski View Post
Mr Mason,Although the single trigger in my Repro has been completely trouble free so far I like the versatility of a double trigger gun. Single triggers in a double gun can be troublesome if they get out of wack.There are only a few gunsmiths that fully understand the workings of a Parker single trigger.

There is no simpler trigger mechanism than a double trigger....and simple is good

Thank-you for the reply,Dave.

I have two 28 gauge double shotguns.One is an AYA with double triggers and the other is a Winchester Model 23 with a single trigger.Have not had any trouble with either of them.Having said that I must add that the Winchester Model 23 has seen little use while the AYA has seen a lot of use.

I like the double triggers, the only time I would like to have the single trigger is when hunting in the winter when wearing heavy gloves or mittens.At that time I find the single trigger a little easier to use.
Unread 08-02-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Graham Mason
Forum Associate

Member Info

Just wondering about the serial numbers on the 28 gauge Winchester Parker shotguns.It is my understanding that the 28 gauge shotguns serial numbers started with 28.Is this correct?

Also what about the two barrel sets,how did the serial numbers go for them?Did they start 2028 for example for a 2 barrel set of 20 gauge and 28 gauge barrels?
Parker repro's......
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Default Parker repro's......

All factory production info has been lost...We think from previos interveiws with Jack Skues that 3500 28ga. guns were made in all the grades. Double trigger guns are scarce in the market...1/2 to 3/4 of the production was single trigger models. The folks who own the DT guns are not selling them very often and way less come availible for sale. No there is nothing defective in the making of the SST system, most reported troubles trace back to need of a good cleaning or sear ajustment at worst. Most parts will interchange....I have been told the ejector system was up graded or improved??? Plan to pay 4K for an average 28ga. repro 26" ic/mod SST , 5-6K for DT, beaver tail option or DT-28" barrels set and 6-7K up for a scarce DT two barrel set. I realy like shooting them! The future is bright for the repro's, prices will continue up. Anyone wanting one needs to act....The big boys keep asking more and more $$$$ with each listing......Cabela's now has a 20 set listed at 8K 6-6500.00 was the norm for a set like it I thought! Game Fair has a nice .28 listed Dt-PG-BTF 26" ic/mod...sweet! thanks all, Kenny Graft SXS ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

G., the 28 serial numbers began with a "28", whether a one barrel set or a two barrel set. There are no 20-28 sets. The 28 was built on the 00 frame and the 20 was built on the 0 frame. They do not fit back and forth. The 16-20 set was made from a 20 gauge gun and the serial number begins with a "20". The 28 inch barrel gun is hard to find for sale and sells for more than the 26 inch barrel gun. For future collector appreciation, the best buy is a two barrel set that includes a 26 and a 28 inch barrel set.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote