Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #31
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Just to add a little about taking a SXS on an Argentina dove shoot. The man that inspired me to this was a friend that was on my trip the year before.

On that trip he brought down a Fox Sterlingworth 20ga ejector gun and a Model 21 20ga with him. They were the only guns he had on that trip and he brought the same two guns with him this year as well. On both trips he only shot the amount of shells that came included in the hunt package. Last year was a three day hunt that came with 2500 rounds and this year was a six day shoot which had 4000 rounds included. So when you add the two years together that would be 6500 rounds divided up between the two guns.

Niether gun had a single failure & I'm sure that both of them could make another trip down there. I guess what I'm getting at is. Just because your going to Argentina doesn't mean you have to leave the guns you love to shoot at home. You don't need to to do what I did and go nuts trying to see if you and the gun can hold up to the punishment. If you were to say take a quality O/U and one of your doubles so you could change them up. I can assure you that you will have a really good time with each. Just make sure the double is in really good shape mechanically and it might be a good idea to glass bed the stock head for a perfect fit to take the recoil from all the rounds. That's what my friend had done to both the Model-21 & Sterlingworth before he took them the first year and the wood held up wonderfully.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:10 AM   #32
nid-28
PGCA Member

Member Info

I'll add my two cents into this discussion. I've made 4 trips to SA and have 2 planned for 2012. On one trip I took my CSMC M21 Pigeon Grade 20 bore and it performed flawlessly at doves, pigeons, ducks and perdiz. With 28 inch barrels the gun weighs a bit over 7 lbs. That's a good weight for high volume shooting. Neither the gun nor me was any the worse for wear!! The secret is really gun fit. You do NOT want to make that trip with a gun that does not fit you well!
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:29 PM   #33
GH-16
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,304 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
I'll add my two cents into this discussion. I've made 4 trips to SA and have 2 planned for 2012. On one trip I took my CSMC M21 Pigeon Grade 20 bore and it performed flawlessly at doves, pigeons, ducks and perdiz. With 28 inch barrels the gun weighs a bit over 7 lbs. That's a good weight for high volume shooting. Neither the gun nor me was any the worse for wear!! The secret is really gun fit. You do NOT want to make that trip with a gun that does not fit you well!

I'll second the statement about gun fit !! A poorly fitting gun would make things miserable on a high volume shoot.
Paul Ehlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #34
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,068 Times in 281 Posts

I would worry a little about the wood cracking at the wrist from all of the opening and closing unless you are very careful. They all have thin wrists and Claro is no the most durable wood. Other than that I think the gun would hold up well.
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #35
David Scott
Forum Associate

Member Info

amen on the past Declerator pad. Dont leave home without it.