Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 04-19-2018, 11:53 PM   #11
james nedela
Forum Associate

Member Info

james nedela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to james nedela For Your Post:
Unread 04-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #12
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,423 Times in 4,595 Posts

I may venture to guess that the stock itself may be original. Just improperly refinished, beining that the drop points were removed and the checkering pattern recut incorrectly. Everything else about it looks right.

Some guns that were ordered without a safety had the slots filled and engraved over. And some were made that way before the slots were cut in the tangs. Yours looks to be the later.
Unread 04-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,720 Posts

A PGCA letter may identify the original purchaser who may have been a known competition shooter.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #14
james nedela
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
A PGCA letter may identify the original purchaser who may have been a known competition shooter.
Sent for a letter today-my first one for my Parker guns. I plan on doing more. Thanks for all your comments & suggestions, Jim.
Unread 04-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #15
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Jim...I'm betting that the stock is original although I don't know why the drop points were removed. The skeleton butt plate is the key. This looks to me like original Parker althogh the person who freshened the checkering pointed up all the diamonds. This is incorrect for a Parker.

It also looks like he removed the skeleton butt plate to freshen up the checkering. This is wrong also. I believe Parker checkered the butt with the plate on. I think that is fairly obvious when looking at untouched skeletal checkering.

All in all it looks like a great gun. I had a 34" DHE without safety and the engraving on the tang looked just like yours. I gave the 34" gun to a member of this board. I still miss that gun. I killed a ton of ducks pass shooting in Saskatechewan with it. I also used it for live ring birds and trap shooting.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #16
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

A good way to determine if the stock is original is to remove the trigger guard. Parker stamped the serial number here. Most people replacing stocks don't stamp the serial number like Parker did. If your gun has the serial numbers stamped, it is likely to be an original stock.
Unread 04-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #17
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

One more thing. The small sliver of wood missing on the left screams original stock to me. Often the wood sticks to the metal on old guns. If the wood is not removed slowly and carefully, a spinter may break off. It looks like this happened to your gun.

I hope you remove the trigger guard and look for the serial number stamp. I'd like to bet Dean that 16 bore GH with the great engraving that he has. The best engraving I have ever seen on a GH. I'd sure like to have that gun.

Bet on Dean???
Unread 04-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #18
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I’ll indulge myself with one more comment. Obviously, the barrels are blued which is an incorrect finish for a Damascus gun. But what really gets to me is to see the engraving on the end of the barrels polished over. There is no need to do this.

L. C. Smith stamped their barrels with the grade and it hurts my eyes when I see this stamping polished over. A competent restorer would never polish over and diminish barrel markings. Some restorers polish over the engraving on the end of the barrels and then recut it. This is fine, but leaving this small area unpolished is the better option, in my opinion.

Another thing that gets to me is to see barrels refinished to deep black on fluid steel Parker guns. Too many iterations of rust, boil card. Original Parker bluing shows a distinctive blue color, not deep black.

Also, some restorers polish barrels to a higher sheen than original. I lightly polish no finer than 240 on the lower grade parkers and try to keep the striking marks intact whenever possible, especially on Trojans. The goal should always be to mimic original finishes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 04-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #19
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

That polishing of the breech end of the barrels is exactly why I mentioned it in my earlier post. I completely agree with your other points as well Tom.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #20
james nedela
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
A good way to determine if the stock is original is to remove the trigger guard. Parker stamped the serial number here. Most people replacing stocks don't stamp the serial number like Parker did. If your gun has the serial numbers stamped, it is likely to be an original stock.
I took the trigger guard off-serial number is there & matches the gun. Makes the stock original to the gun, right?