Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Restoration Help Please
Unread 04-19-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
Paul Mazan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Restoration Help Please

I recently rescued a Parker tat most of you would probably be ashamed to own. It is #129274 and appears to be a VH. 12 ga on a #2 frame. Anyway, the stock is oil soaked and cracked with a down rod put throught it to stop the cracking. It has been reblued and I cannot remove the barrels from the receiver unless I remove the bottom plare and use a thin screwdriver tro unlock the barrels. I know this will never be a collector grade gun and that is why I'm asking about what would be proper to restore it. I can degrease the stock but then I will have to refinish. I can stripp the bluing but I will have to do something about refinishing. From your points of view what is the best way to procede to make the gun into something that looks it's age. I also understand that there may be a book available that would shoe what barrel length the gun had when new. At the moment the barrels are 24" and choked IC and Imprved Modified. They don't look to have been cut but with the refinish polishing and the engraving barly there anything is possible. Thank you for your opinions.
Paul Mazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

#129274 books as a VH 12 gauge with a capped pistol grip and 30" barrels.
If your barrels are 24" and still have some choke, look to see if the serial number on the barrels match the serial number on the reciever.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
Paul Mazan
Forum Associate

Member Info

I just rechecked the barrels and they do have the same serial number as the receiver. Remeasuring I get 26" not 24 so when the gun was refinished someone had to have cut the barrels. My choke gauge shows the left barrel as a cylinder and the right as Improved Cylinder. The numbers I gave you originally were what was on the tag, this time I actually checked. So among the other problems I have cut barrels.
Unread 04-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,138 Times in 3,254 Posts

if the stock is oil soaked- its going to deteriorate if its not de-oiled so i do not see refinishing as a negative

assuming its salvageable- check to see if the wood has gone soft - get the oil out and see what you have and if the crack can be repaired-
Unread 04-19-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

From a financial standpoint, there could not be a worse gun to put money and time into.

You would have way more in money/time into a gun than it will ever be worth and it will still have a damaged stock and cut barrels in the end.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 04-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Something else to consider.....Used VH #2 frame stocks are sometimes advertised for sale on this forum. They are not expensive, and you would probably be better off replacing the stock. Since the gun also has other issues, why not attend a SxS sporting clays event like the Southern or Hausmann's and bring the gun with you. Evaluations are best with the gun in hand, and there are often plenty of Parker guys there that can guide you.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #7
Paul Mazan
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thank you once again Gentlemen. I bought the gun for $300 as a project to learn about the Parker and how it works. There is nothing like getting inside a gun that has little value to learn on. So I could always part it out later on if nothing else. I had no illusions when I bought it so I can't say I'm disappointed just facing a challenge. I've started deoiling the stock and am curious what method you used to remove oil that has soaked into the wood. The wood seems pretty solid, at least as I'm scrubbuing it with a stiff brush nothing is breaking away or falling off. It is simply knowing when to stop deoiling. So far most of it looks pretty good but there is still oil in the wood right behind the receiver.
Unread 04-19-2018, 08:35 PM   #8
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

Take the stock off and soak it in acetone for several days.

Then heat it numerous times with a hair dryer to pull more oil out.

That will take the oil out but the stock may be ruined anyway.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2018, 09:07 PM   #9
Ed Blake
PGCA Member

Member Info

Consider the $300 you paid for the gun as tuition. You can learn a lot by restoring a gun yourself. Use Bullseye shellac to refinish the stock. You can teach yourself how to rust blue the barrels. If the receiver screws are buggered Brownels has the proper files to recut them. Lots of highly skilled people here can answer your questions. Have fun
Ed Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Blake For Your Post:
Unread 04-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #10
Paul Mazan
Forum Associate

Member Info

That was the idea Mr.Blake. I think that if I can clean the gun up and get everything working I should be able to get my tuition back, learn about Parkers, and enjoy shooting it a little first.
Mr. Day, I had never tried acetone. I've used Turpentine and mineral spirits and haven't ruined a stock with them. Thank you for another idea to try.