Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Restoration

Notices

Unread 04-10-2018, 06:30 PM   #11
Bill Graham
Forum Associate

Member Info

Never had any problem with TruOil. May try something else sometime, but don't have any real compelling reason to do so.
Bill Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Graham For Your Post:
Unread 04-29-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

I have used Tru Oil since the late 70’s. I am always pleased with the end result. The first one I did was my Dad’s VH. I used it a lot in the field and the finish remains in very good condition to this day. Cheers Jack
Unread 04-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #13
Bill Graham
Forum Associate

Member Info

The gentleman who makes Timberlux was kind enough to bless me with some samples at the Southern yesterday. Looking forward to trying it out for the first time. That, and finding a #1 frame hammergun I could afford helped make it a great day!
Bill Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #14
terc
PGCA Member

Member Info

I've used True Oil for 20 years on personal projects, it's been OK. My last project was a C grade Fox. I decided to try Timberlux stain and finish. Any future project will be done with Timberlux. Not only is it easy to use, but it looks great and is very durable. The Fox has been out in rain and snow and has been pushed though grouse cover time and time again. The finish looks like it was done yesterday.
Dave
Dave Tercek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
Opening Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,190 Posts

I missed Brian from Timberlux as I wanted to pickup a jar from him (I know I can order a jar but $15 for shipping is a little steep.) but missed him, tried to find him on Sat and Sunday (no cell service....) and when I did reach him he had already left. Really wanted to try the product.
Eric Eis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #16
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

A winchester 94 deluxe refinished with Timberluxe. Also used their stain with the finish. You can't quite get that look with tru-oil.

IMG_0881.jpg
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 05-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I just received a bottle of TimberLux. This will be my first time using it. I bought it because of all the good things that were said about it. One of the reasons I liked TruOil is that, after filling the pores and coloring the stock if necessary, I can rub it into the stock and then wipe most of it off with a rag. This builds up the finish a tiny bit at a time. No worries about dust or other contaminents getting into the finish or uneveness that must be taken down. Some finishes are too tacky to do my process. I hope TimberLux isn't.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #18
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Laurel mountain forge permalyn is great. The sealer is even better. Waterlox also guves nice finish
Unread 05-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #19
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

No doubt that you got good results with Permalyn products. I stayed away from Permalyn because I believed that they used synthetic polymers. I could be wrong. I use thinned tung oil for the filler. I soak, let dry, soak again till the stock will take no more tung oil. Then I wet sand it with the grain using tung oil and spread the sawdust mud cross grain with my fingers. I keep repeating the process till all pores are filled level. Then I hand rub in Tru-Oil and wipe it off with a cotton cloth. I keep doing this till I get the depth of finish I require. It takes a while to finish or refresh a stock but it’s worth the effort.

I’ve heard negative comments on this site about George Brothers Lin-Speed. I’ve used that also and the results are similar to Tru-Oil. It does tend to produce a shiner finish, but this can be easily adjusted. I am going to try Timber-lux for the heck of it. I’ll start a stock with it this week.

There are many methods and products which provide an appropriate finish for Parkers.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #20
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Dudley View Post
A winchester 94 deluxe refinished with Timberluxe. Also used their stain with the finish. You can't quite get that look with tru-oil.

Attachment 62639
Thats a gorgeous finish Brian! Did you use permalyn to seal it or Timberlux? I recall we had a discussion on here at one point where you said you were a big fan of permalyn's sealer. Just curious what you used. Might give timberlux a try on that Trojan I have coming my way.