Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Single Trigger Opinions
Unread 06-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
Sam Casey
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Single Trigger Opinions

Thinking of buying a high condition 20ga ST PR. Understand many of them tend to "double". Any sense what odds are of getting a "doubler". Assuming the worst, is Bachelder Shop best in MI to correct?
Sam Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

The notion that many of them tend to double, IMO, has been blown way out of proportion. There has even been a story floating around for years that the original single trigger Remington Parker that was used as the model for the Winchester/Olin-Kodensa craftsmen to clone had doubled. These new Parkers were so faithful to this original Parker that they doubled, too.

It's a fact that some Parker Repros have doubled, but a simple cleaning of the trigger mechanism has solved the issue in many of these cases. It's also a fact that the majority of single trigger Parker Repros have functioned flawlessly for their owners.

Here's what I would do if considering a Repro (or any other make of double) with a single trigger: I would tell the seller that I will purchase the gun at the mutually agreed upon price, but with a contingency that I can shoot the gun at a couple of rounds of 5-Stand or Skeet to ensure the gun functions properly in all respects including trigger pulls, ejectors, POI, etc. If the seller won't allow shooting of the gun then I would insist on a warranty. If no warranty is offered, I would look elsewhere.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 06-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

I have had several of the reproductions in both 20 and 28 and NEVER had an issue with the trigger doubling. I have several original Parkers with SST and haven't had a problem with them either. I wouldn't let the SST feature deter you from a purchase.
Unread 06-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,422 Times in 4,595 Posts

If one doubles it is likely just in need of a cleaning. Simple as that. The only other issue i have heard of is a few guns have some cast parts in the mechanism that just need some polishing up. But that is a rare occurance.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 06-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
Wilmurt
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I have 3 PR's, 20/28/12, all with single triggers and never had an issue. Granted the 28ga. I have just bought, but put 100 rounds through it today with no problems. The 20ga I bought new in the mid-80's and never had a misfire. Whatever you buy and not knowing how the gun was previously used since new, you'd be wise to spend a few bucks to get it cleaned.
Tom Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Jay For Your Post:
Unread 06-24-2017, 10:45 PM   #6
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

I'm sure not a Parker Repro guy, for sure, but I have heard from several sources that the lubricant used in the Japanese factory gummed up if unused, therefore guns which have been stored away as "New, unfired" may be the guns most susceptible to the malfunctions
Unread 06-24-2017, 11:22 PM   #7
Roundsworth
PGCA Member

Member Info

My 20 gauge SST had an issue with a cast part, as Brian mentioned above. Dewey Vicknair corrected the problem. Dewey said that there was no congealed/hardened grease to blame.
'Desert Storm'
'Southern Watch'
Mark Landskov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Landskov For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2017, 12:17 AM   #8
Jim McKee
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Last year I purchased a Parker Reproduction 12 b with a single trigger. I was concerned about how well it would function.
After shooting several hundred rounds over a period of a year, I have found that it works just like it is supposed to work- No Problems with it functioning properly.
I would buy a Parker single trigger shotgun again!
If you buy one, you will enjoy it!!
Jim
Jim McKee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McKee For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,718 Posts

Mark, (Roundsworth) has the answer and the name of the gunsmith who knows what the problem is. Apparently, it is not the grease as Mark says.
Bill Murphy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 06-25-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
William Stevenson
Forum Associate

Member Info

I shoot five ST Reproductions in all gauges, two of the five have given me trouble. The 12 ga started refusing the second shot about 10% of the time, had it fixed by the Miller single trigger co. They repaired the origional trigger, said someone with limited knowledge had worked on it before My 16 ga (Kriegoff barrels) started doubling the first time I used the barrel selector, sent it to Larry DelGreco and sons for repair. Turned out someone had messed with the sears and selector so Larry replaced a sear and made the selector work. He said he has fixed several dozen ST's and doubling is the most common problem. The single trigger problems I've had were caused by others with not enough Experience working on Parker Reproductions.
These guns have complex trigger mechanisms and need experienced Parker gunsmiths to tune them up. Reproductions can be a pain to maintain but they are so delightful to shoot the effort is worthwhile. The 28ga and 16ga are my favorites.
William Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William Stevenson For Your Post: