Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 02-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #11
Reproman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernfeld View Post
Marvin, do it! That gun should have been available in a 26" Q1/Q2, 28" IC/Mod combination originally.
Joe
Joe,

Couldn't agree with you more! That is the only thing that could make this set more perfect. I love the configuration, and it has the longer 14 5/8'' LOP which is ideal. Thanks for the encouragement!

Marvin
Marvin Kells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Reproman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Heald View Post
If you really don't care about the resale value and want the most utility from your 28" set, put some Briley choke tubes in it and be done with it. You'll be able to have any choke from cylinder to full.

There! I've said it! ....He did say he had no intention of ever selling it.

Me? I'd leave them as is and learn to puff those targets with it.
Chuck,

A very practical suggestion but I just hate choke tubes, especially on a SxS.

I like your suggestion to "learn to puff those those targets" though, and that is exactly what happens when I do connect with the left barrel (actually the barrels measure IM/XXF). Maybe I'll try a two step process since Mike Orlen's prices seem very reasonable. Just have the 28" barrels open up to their actual markings of M/F (the left barrel is just ridiculously tight). Then see what happens. Hmmmmm ....

Last edited by Marvin Kells; 02-08-2010 at 04:49 PM..
Patern your gun....first
Unread 02-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Default Patern your gun....first

I have talked about this not long ago...I have not had time to patern my X-full repro's as yet. Long as the paterns are not being compromised by the tight choking and they hit point of aim I will not have them altered. Use/test the standard 3/4 oz load in the tight choked 28gauge. Unless you have a minty gun properly changing the chokes will not degrade its value. Used gun price will not be harmed in my opinion. thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-:
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,781 Times in 4,717 Posts

If I bored out every full choked gun that I enjoy shooting skeet with, Mike Orlen would own my house. Personally, I quit shooting skeet for a living at least six months ago. My 19X25s with my duck guns are much more satisfying than the 25 straights with skeet guns. To be realistic, though, most people buy 28 gauge Repros to shoot, not to resell. If I had a two barrel set to shoot, I would put Brileys in the 28" barrels. I don't believe that would affect the value of a field used gun except to make it more valuable.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Choke thoughts
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
Steve Kleist
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Choke thoughts

Hi Marvin,
I also have a 28 ga Parker Reproduction two barrel set. One is 28" M/F and the other 26" is stamped IC/M, however the IC/M barrels have been opened up to about SKT/SKT.
Had the shorter set not have been opened for me, I would also have done so.
The open set is perfect for ruffed grouse and skeet, while the other is just fine for pheasants, waterfowl with bismuth, and a long sporting clays course.
Like you I bought the gun to shoot and the combination is fine, and I have not regretted the changes at all.
Just my 2 cents from a non expert Parker Reproduction enthusiast.
Good Luck.
Steve Kleist Ely, MN
Steve Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kleist For Your Post:
Unread 02-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #16
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

Comment and then a question:

Comment: I have the same gun/configuration and I don't remember the last time I used the 28" barrels, primarily because I never need them. That being said, I may just have them opened because.... My suggestion would be to open them to IC/IM. Personally I want a little extra choke in the left barrel (but not XXF). Besides, It's always easier to take a little more choke out than to put it in.

Question: Regarding Mike Orlen, Mike has done a number of sets of barrels for me and I have always been extremely happy with his price and his turn-around time. However, recently there have been some comments about Mike on one of the other boards that have raised a flag. Specifically, he has become unresponsive to calls and letters and that barrels have languished for months. Anyone have any contact with Mike in the past few weeks?

Thanks,

DG
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Gardner For Your Post:
Unread 02-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #17
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

I never did hear how Ken Hurst made out with his barrels at Mike's. Anyone?
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
Parkerman
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

He got his barrels back
Linn Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #19
Reproman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Jay,

A very good suggestion regarding IC/IM. I shoot that combination frequently in my Beretta O/U. Don't know why I didn't think of that!

Everyone,

Anyone had any experience using Bill Schwarz for barrel/choke work? He is close by in Ellijay, GA.
Unread 02-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #20
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

I do regular bisness with mike...no problems as yet! Fast and exl. work....He opened my 20ga 28" repro shooter to tight IC and light full, .010 and .024 from .018/.038 have not paterned it as yet but it works clays good...(-: Its a wonderful gun, PG-DT-SF, the engraving stands out now that most of the color case has worn off. The wood is top shelf and its a real looker in the rack at my club standing next to all them over-unders and auto's. Everyone fusses over it...the LORD has blesses me...(-: Thanks all kenny Graft SXS ohio...(-:
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote