Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unsafe 20 gauge VHE barrels
Unread 11-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
Thomas Baumgardner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Unsafe 20 gauge VHE barrels

First time using forum, hope I am doing this correctly. Aquired VHE 20 gauge via the Internet and told by owner of store that bores are nice and clean. I sent the gun to Larry DelGrego for some cosmetic work but noticed some pitting in barrel and asked him to check the barrel. Larry reported that the pitting was extremely deep and that after measuring wall thickness believes the barrels unsafe to shoot. Having discussion with seller but not optimistic he will take gun back and refund my money. Do not questions sellers integrity, only qualified gun smith could evaluate the barrel properly. Any thoughts on making this gun a shooter other than buying a set of new barrels which would cost more than the value of the gun. What about 28 gauge sub tube? Have not gotten the gun back from Larry yet, but looking at my options if seller refuses to take gun back. Thanks for any input.
Thomas Baumgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

So what is the wall thickness ? It’s not uncommon for Parker 20s to have a wall thickness of .020 from the factory.

Are you saying that only a qualified gun smith can or would have a wall thickness gauge? That is odd because I know that quite a few collectors here have those gauges, Julia auction when they sell a gun lists wall thickness, Jay Shachter the gun seller lists wall thickness. Many more people here have a bore diameter gauge by which they can determine if barrels have been honed excessively beyond standard.

If the barrels are really bad then your options are to get replacement barrels, sleeve the old ones, use subgauge inserts or get rid of the gun.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Day For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
Thomas Baumgardner
Forum Associate

Member Info

Have not gotten Delgrego's written evaluation but recall him saying there are some spots with less than .020 thickness. I am not a qualified gunsmith and do have the equipment or knowledge of Parker shotgun barrels to determine if they are safe to shot.
Thomas Baumgardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,605 Times in 2,666 Posts

I think you need to find out the real and exact measurements .
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
edgarspencer
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 11,371 Times in 3,072 Posts

I learned, a very long time ago, several rules when shooting: Foremost amongst them are, 1) Know Your Gun; 2) Know your ammunition; 3) Know your Target.

Your situation falls under #1. Where, along the length of the barrel, does it measure 'under .020"? If this less than 7-8" from the muzzle, then apply #2.
A light load such as the RST Lite is a delightful load and I wouldn't fear shooting it if the pitting is far enough (distance and pressure) down the tube.
edgarspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

anyone who tells you the wall thickness is an issue should also tell you what the thicknesses are and at where. If you are paying for a detailed evaluation on wall thickness, you should get a report showing thicknesses every 3-4” down the barrel in different locations around the tube.

Also, one persons opinion of unsafe may not be anothers.

If your minimum is around .020” and that is out by the muzzle, that is not realistically an issue.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 11-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

I would be concerned only if that measurement was in the rearmost 12" - 14" but not so much if it was in the forward half of the barrels.

I agree, such a claim as "unsafe to shoot" should be backed up with a documented set of wall thickness measurements. It may yet prove to be unsafe but with only word of mouth you can't expect a seller to take back a gun.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,575 Times in 925 Posts

Mr. B:
You have entrusted your gun to the foremost Parker gunsmith. He is a professional. Take his advice. But ask him for a complete explanation and options. He will be glad to give it. And his counsel will be honest... and made with safety in mind. Anything else is speculation.
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

We are missing the point here. The seller said the barrels were clean and bright. That is a far cry from "pitted". The whole mess could be solved if the seller took the gun back and issued a refund. On another point, someone entrusted to give you a good appraisal should be willing to give you some measurements at all points of the bores. I could do that in five minutes and charge you a half hour of labor, (seven dollars an hour at my current rate). However, I actually own a bore micrometer and wall thickness gauge. Most gunsmiths don't own such instruments. Make sure your guy owns such tools.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,411 Times in 4,591 Posts

That is a very good point Bill. The seller says Good bores and Larry is saying that the bores are pitted to the point that unsafe thickness is a concern. That is two complete oposite ends of the spectrum. It is not like we are talking about one persons opinion of “frosting” vs anothers. But then again, some “professional” smiths cant tell that a gun is sleeved and then take a customers money for restoration to have the customer find out after the fact that he is upside down in a sleeved gun. But i would not expect that same smith to mistake good bores for pitting. But who knows...

Tom, did you put eyes on the gun yourself? That would have been a good idea.