Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 11-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #11
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,577 Times in 926 Posts

If Mr. Levin lived in LA in 1964, this Superposed might well have been ordered/sold through Pachmayr in downtown LA. Their records may be traceable...
John Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #12
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,521 Times in 405 Posts

Any idea where to look for them? I have found a DR RJ Lewin who graduated from UCLA med school in 1962 according to LA Times and set up shop in long beach I think.
Unread 11-12-2017, 11:30 AM   #13
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,518 Times in 4,619 Posts

The engravers signature is marked in a similar way that the earlier master Browning engraver Funkin signed his guns.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!
Unread 11-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Your best and most efficient course is to pursue Browning records first. The gun was special-ordered through some US shop and a trail of it should still exist at Browning UT or Liege. At least hopefully. That might give you a name, address, time frame, etc.

Although not the top-of-the-line, this gun was NOT cheap. Especially in 1964. Expensive guns have records. Or should.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
PML
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,568 Times in 372 Posts

Alex Kerr,s shop was known to order/supply guns with owners name engraved on the sides.

Patrick
Patrick Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Lien For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #16
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Your best and most efficient course is to pursue Browning records first. The gun was special-ordered through some US shop and a trail of it should still exist at Browning UT or Liege. At least hopefully. That might give you a name, address, time frame, etc.

Although not the top-of-the-line, this gun was NOT cheap. Especially in 1964. Expensive guns have records. Or should.
I have already spoken with Mr. Reis the browning historian, he was having trouble reading the record sheets. I will speak to him again, I was just curious if you knew where to check pachmyr?
Unread 11-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #17
Kensal Rise
PGCA Member

Member Info

Pachmayr as we knew it is gone. Absorbed by Lyman. I'm not sure if the sales records went with the rest. But you can check with them:

https://www.officer.com/tactical/fir...-products-corp
The Following User Says Thank You to John Campbell For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #18
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,619 Times in 1,024 Posts

The Pointer Grade is a beautiful and scarce gun. They were only manufactured from 1959 thru very late 1964. The engraving pattern went through 3 iterations by FN's top engravers before being "standardized' as the gun went into production. The final version was selected in November of 1960 based on the exquisite work of Marie Louis Magis, FN's top lady master engraver, whose rendition of the game scenes executed on a 20 gauge gun, surrounded by the scrollwork of Jacquez Lodewyc remains a hallmark of FN engraving at its very best. My RKLT Pointer Grade factory 2-barrel set is the work of Mdm. Magis, and I cherish it.
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2017, 07:38 PM   #19
FRANK HALSEY
Forum Associate

Member Info

Mr. Cobb, you got a steal !!!! the last three that I saw at an auction went for the $7,000-$9,000. I don't think your stock was cut. Get the letter from Browning hist. about the length of pull. I just looked at my Pointer gr., it is new in the box, and it has a recoil pad just like yours. That is why I still go to gun shop and the big box store because their "experts" sometime real miss the mark. Sometimes it is high, mostly, but I have gotten a couple of bargains. I got my Pointer grade from Gander Mountain. They did not know what it was so I made an offer and they took it. They are a rare grade but they are nice. Enjoy yours and when you go to sell it, don't make the same mistake. Have all your documents in place and you will enjoy the profit you will make when you figure it time to sell. There are a few guns that went up in value as much as this one you bought for $ 2,500. : )
FRANK HALSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FRANK HALSEY For Your Post:
Unread 11-12-2017, 09:13 PM   #20
King Cobb
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McCormack View Post
The Pointer Grade is a beautiful and scarce gun. They were only manufactured from 1959 thru very late 1964. The engraving pattern went through 3 iterations by FN's top engravers before being "standardized' as the gun went into production. The final version was selected in November of 1960 based on the exquisite work of Marie Louis Magis, FN's top lady master engraver, whose rendition of the game scenes executed on a 20 gauge gun, surrounded by the scrollwork of Jacquez Lodewyc remains a hallmark of FN engraving at its very best. My RKLT Pointer Grade factory 2-barrel set is the work of Mdm. Magis, and I cherish it.
I have seen a Magis pointer once and it was a work of art. Congrats.