Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Morning Crows
Unread 10-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #1
Bo Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Morning Crows

I called a friend who has a pecan grove to ask if a buddy and I could come out and shoot crows this morning. He said we were a little late - those crows have been after the pecans since early September, but we went anyway. Just before light, Set out about 30 decoys, including the battery powered one with 3 birds that go around in a circle and then twirl when it stops. Turned on the FoxPro and within 5 minutes they started working.

We shot for a couple of hours - decoys and dead birds littering the field beside the pecans. Ended up with 57 - but two were on the roofs of barns so couldn't get to them. Really didn't make a dent in them. They were still coming in as we left. Shot a tight choked GH 12 I bought from Scott Gentry and my buddy shot his great grandfather's 16 ga Model 12. A great morning.
bobutler is offline   Reply With Quote
crows
Unread 10-21-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default crows

Bo...Would you please share what works for you and the name of the moving decoys that you like.....Thanks for any tips to keep them coming in ...Marty
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for their acquiring...They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.......E. Hemmingway
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
Bo Butler
PGCA Member

Member Info

Marty:

For us it really depends on the time of year. Right now the crows are very active. I use a group of 10 to 15 hard plastic body decoys and a few of the big, flocked decoys mixed in for each set. My buddy used an additional 15 hard plastics this morning set about 30 yards away. I have used a garbage bag amongst the decoys made to look like they have torn it open and eating what's inside. The big deal for me is to hide well or direct their attention somewhere other than where I am. That's where the Lucky Duck Triple Play Crow Decoy helps with movement.

This time of year, they seem to love a fight, so I use the crow fight call on the FoxPro call. Early in the year, the fight call has not seemed to work as well. Different things have worked. When the crow fight call has played for 15 to 20 minutes and the action slows, I turn it off and in the silence, sometimes they will fly over to see what all the silence is about.

I'm sure others may have suggestions for what has worked for them.
bobutler is offline   Reply With Quote
crow
Unread 10-22-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default crow

Bo...Thanks for the informative reply. We will give it all a try...Thanks again, Marty
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for their acquiring...They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.......E. Hemmingway
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote