Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Alaska grouse ver. 2
Unread 10-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Default Alaska grouse ver. 2

Trigg and his setters showed up on Sunday and we hunted 70 miles north of Fairbanks around Livengood yesterday in snow. We picked a good looking spot along the road and gave it a try and hit a real honey hole. I again carried my GHE 12; Trigg carried a FAIR(made by Rizzini, I think) 5.5# 28gaO/U. We found lots of birds and got three ruffies each. Neither of us has ever had a better ruffie day in Alaska ever. This place was absolutely ideal habitat. Triggs dogs did very well. The young whiter setter was on his second hunt and pointed birds solid several times from a long ways off and even honored the other setters points several times. The shot of Cai on point was taken just as the bird flushed and Trigg shot it. Perfect point. His younger setter launched off top of the bank behind Trigg to make the retrieve; I guess that was impressive to see. It was a sterling day in the woods. I got two red phase birds, one a large adult male that is a gorgeous bird. What a day. This is our first snow that will stick; winter is officially here.

Addendum: I just cleaned these three birds. One of them has more fat than I have ever seen on a grouse anywhere. Another had a crop full of clover-cranberry salad that looks good enough to eat. I tasted one of the cranberries; it's a lowbush variety, which I thought ruffies didn't eat so I learned something important from this. These guys lived in an ideal spot it seems. Turns out the far left grouse in my right hand is a spruce hen so our ruffie total was 5. It was difficult to note the difference in the heat of the action in a woodlot where the grouse outnumbered the chickadees. That's ok; I just had him for lunch....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RF with 3 ruffies 10-16-17 mail.jpg (280.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Cai on point 10-16-17 mail.jpg (188.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Trigg with ruffie 10-16-17 mail.jpg (206.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2914 mail.jpg (205.6 KB, 1 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Doesn't get much better than this! Beautiful country, good dogs and at least one good shotgun!
Reggie Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #3
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

good hunt and good pictures and storey...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #4
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

Rich - Did you fly in?
Unread 10-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

John: no. We drove up the Elliot Hwy that is the base of the Dalton Hwy that goes up to the oilfields at Prudhoe Bay. Livengood is an old mining town that is currently being looked into being developed into a 12million ounce hardrock gold deposit. I worked up there a couple of weeks ago for a week pulling metallurgical samples from stored core.

Here's our hunt from yesterday. We hunted near my house in an area that was logged in the early 70's. The habitat is excellent and holds a lot of birds. This is where we hunted last time Trigg came up. We got onto a lot of birds but having been hunted hard, they were extremely smart and wily. We got a lot of points and a number of flushes but only managed one spruce grouse, which Trigg made a great shot on with his Abercrombie & Fitch 28ga O/U that was made for the vice president of Standard Oil Co and came to him in mint condition, cased in an A&F case and with a vintage A&F ad telling the story of the gun. It is a spectacular little Belgium-made made gun of very high quality. The snow was fresh and made for great tracking. We walked 8.5miles and were pretty bushed at the end and went to our local rec center for a jacuzzi then to the Thai restaurant for some good food.... and beer. I'm getting a break today as Trigg is off doing his lawyer thing on a local case that involves gold miners and which I am assisting him with. Perfect timing; I need the break. Trigg is going to wear me out at this rate. I don't know how he does it at 72; must be all the runs he does on the slalom course behind his new bazillion HP ski boat in the summer. It was an excellent day with nice weather in the high 20's. These old logging roads make for some good access and walking. I'm sure some of these pics look just like some New England trails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2894 mail.jpg (403.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2899 mail.jpg (429.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2902 mail.jpg (390.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2904 mail.jpg (549.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2907 mail.jpg (465.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2909 mail.jpg (369.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Trigg with grouse 10-17-17 mail.jpg (435.8 KB, 2 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
Reggie B
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,436 Times in 1,366 Posts

Beautiful country! Thanks for posting!
Reggie Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #7
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

That picture of the curve in the four-wheeler road looks a lot like a place we call "The Shattuck Pasture" in my little section of Vermont. (And I remember very well when it truly was a pasture.) It is usually a virtual 'grouse haven' and pulls the woodcock down in the right years.

Beautiful country Rich!

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 11-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
esetter - Gerry Addison
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,059 Times in 279 Posts

Looks like a great hunt. I'd love to grouse hunt Alaska. Birds in Wisconsin this year were down 50% and they are suppose to be coming to their peak in the cycle???? Nothing better than hunting grouse behind a nice setter with a pretty double. You do have to get your buddy a better hat though!
Gerry Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Liven Good
Unread 11-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
Twice Shooter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default Liven Good

Hay Rich, Why do you think they call that area Liven Good? I've hunted snow shoes only a few miles from there. Cheers, Tom
Tom Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,041 Times in 12,322 Posts

I'm guessing Trigg doesn't need to impress anybody with his headgear.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote