Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 10-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #11
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,226 Times in 12,373 Posts

Josh, I've heard Fox barrels described that way but not Parker. By "3 weight" do you mean that the stamped unstruck weight of the barrels is 3 lb., X oz.?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2017, 07:19 AM   #12
Josh Prahin
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
Josh, I've heard Fox barrels described that way but not Parker. By "3 weight" do you mean that the stamped unstruck weight of the barrels is 3 lb., X oz.?

My bad. Still learning about the parkers. Barrels were marked 3lb. 6oz.
Josh Prahin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh Prahin For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #13
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,226 Times in 12,373 Posts

That's okay Josh, there's an awful lot to learn. I'm still a student - I learn something new about Parkers almost every day.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #14
Kentucky Bird Hunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanks for that comment, Dean. It seems like almost everyday when I visit the PGCA website, I feel like that NPR Radio show, "Gee, I Didn't Know That"!!

-Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson, America's 7th President
Dave Tatman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Tatman For Your Post:
Unread 10-26-2017, 08:56 AM   #15
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

New to site and my first post. I am also the steward of a Parker 16 VH built in 1907. #1 frame with 28 inch barrels, but not certain about the chokes. I know its tight shooting since I have harvested a few continental pheasants and dove at a considerable distance with that left barrel. Once shot a crow loafing over a dove field with that left barrel and folded it. Stepped off to where I thought I shot it at about 60 yards, It was pretty high up so it carried almost to 80 yards. My guess is that right barrel is modified and left barrel is full. I think this was mostly how their field guns were choked, could be wrong.

Its a beautiful old gun and will need to take some pics. My only complaint and this is just the way it is I guess, is that I shoot lefty and the trigger setup is wrong. All I know is that I have to wear shooting gloves every time I shoot gun more than a few times or I get these little cuts from the left barrel trigger and trigger guard edge that both are about as sharp as a butter knife.

After about a half box of shells shooting mostly the right barrel the side of trigger finger is sore and you will have about 6 or 7 knicks in the skin like someone lightly whacked it with a serated butter knife unless you wear shooting gloves. I have had fleeting notions or thoughts to see if trigger layout could be switched, but I got two boys that are right eye dominant, so gun is good for them and they shoot it pretty well. Just have to accept sometimes that being a disenfranchised lefty shooter is just the way it is, especially for majority of older guns with double triggers.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote