Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 07-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #11
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Rio hulls have the stars on the base and definitely require the larger European primers. Maybe they get the plastic part from Cheddite and put their own brass on or have cheddite put brass on that requires the larger primer. Rio has a factory in Texas now and their ammo got more expensive when they did that. Their ammo is the cleanest burning I've ever seen and the hulls reload well in my experience.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #12
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,787 Times in 3,967 Posts

i too ran into some problems usein reo primers they were just to big for the hulls i had...but reo shells are like what richard said cleanest burn of any thing i have shot...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #13
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

Rio primers are European size and not intended for American hulls like Federal, Rem, Win.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #14
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

As far as I know all 10ga hulls are straight walled hulls. The Rem SP-10 is even a little loose in a Rem hull. The Cheddite primers are fine - same diameter as Win, Fed, or Rem - or close enough not to make a difference. I've been using the BPI 10ga wads - cheaper than the SP-10 wad. For low pressure target loads [ 1oz in the 10 ] I just treat Rem, Fed, Win, and RST hulls all the same for reloading data. Haven't had a problem yet.
Unread 10-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #15
Charlie Hutchins
Forum Associate

Member Info

Howdy! First post, and hope to learn a lot from you all. New to the 10 ga, but not shotshell loading.
Rio and ched hulls are made by different companies and have different (though similar) basewad profiles. Capacity is very nearly the same (in 12 ga at least).
Rio primers are noticeably larger then American primers. Ched primers are in the middle. I've loaded cci and win primers in ched hulls with mixed luck--sometimes it's a snug fit, sometimes it backs out upon crimping. So I use ched primers in ched hulls. They're cheap and go bang!
Charlie Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2017, 10:17 AM   #16
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

About all I use are Cheddite primers and there is no difference in fit between Cheddite, Win, Fed, or Rem primers - they all mic the same. I've even gone back to a couple of hundred Win or Fed primers on occasion and found no problem with loose fit.
Unread 10-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #17
Charlie Hutchins
Forum Associate

Member Info

The ched cx2000 I Mic'ed this morning are .242". The Rios are .244", win and cci-m are both .239".
I dint find fit problems with American primers in all ched hulls. Ched hulls come in various levels of quality--the ones I get from BPI seem to be made to a higher standard and hold up longer then the ones I've gotten from hevi shot loads. I've used 100's of win209's in ched hulls and most (~70%) have fit ok.
Not trying to be argumentative, and I hope I'm not coming off that way. Just sharing my narrow experience (16 & 12 ga--just starting with the 10 ga, so take it for what it's worth).
Charlie Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #18
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I've never loaded Cheddite hulls - a friend gives me once fired 10ga Fed, Win, and Remingtons. I do buy him a water at the club for his gracious gifts. Hope I haven't over rewarded him.