Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

New to SxS and new to Parker Repro
Unread 07-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
Michael Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default New to SxS and new to Parker Repro

Due to the past 2 years of phenomenal quail hunting here in Texas, I have developed an infatuation with SxS shotguns. I have purchased (2) Browning BSS 20 ga and (1) Parker Reproduction 20 ga. The Parker Reproduction is a 20 ga, double trigger, pistol grip, splinter forearm, 26" bbls. 14-1/2" LOP. After shooting the Parker and the Browning, I think I would prefer the Parker to have a beavertail forearm. That brings me to the point of this post. What I really want is:
Parker Reproduction
-20 or 28 ga
-pistol grip
-double triggers
-beavertail forearm
-long LOP (14-1/2" minimum but would prefer longer)

Where in the world am I going to find this gun????? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Michael Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,100 Times in 673 Posts

I hope you are not in a hurry. With the specs you desire it will likely take a while to find one - maybe a long while. You'll find some of the features you want on individual guns but finding them all in the same gun will be challenging but not impossible.

A case in point. A few months ago I decided to look for a repro matching your specs except for the long length of pull but additionally I wanted Q1/Q2 chokes. One month after starting to search in earnest one popped up that fit my desires to the tee. I bought it within 5 hours of initial posting. The seller told me he had 5 offers to buy after I committed to buy one of which was in the shop when I picked it up in case I changed my mind.

Moral of the story, decide if there are any compromises you are willing to make, search diligently, and be prepared to move quickly.

Good luck!
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

Welcome to the forum Michael, it's good to have you here!

Although not ubiquitous, the configuration of a Parker Reproduction that you're considering become available every now and then. A great place to find one is right here, but you need to become a member of the PGCA in order to see where they are (the Forum Associate level doesn't get you there): the For Sale Forum, the Wanted to Buy Forum as well as other subforums are only visible to PGCA members. A PGCA membership has additional benefits including a quarterly magazine called Parker Pages that's dedicated to all things Parker.

Other possibilities of finding your dream Repro would be gunsinternational.com, gunbroker.com, a google search, dealers specializing in side-by-side doubles, etc.

One thing I might recommend is that you take a little time to further develop your tastes - you have guns that will ride you through. Yeah, right now you think you know what you want, but if you're like many others that have traveled down this same road your tastes may change and you may end up preferring a straight grip, splinter forend, double trigger gun as your favorite configuration.

It's the chase that makes it fun . . . Happy Hunting!
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Baehman For Your Post:
Unread 07-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
SXS OHIO
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,888 Times in 533 Posts

Welcome Michael....Your ideal gun would be a 28 Gauge if you really want a beaver tail for-end. They are properly proportioned...not big and robust like the 20 gauge version. It should have Q1/Q2 chokes and will be found in 26" length...only a handful of 28-s had 28" Q1/Q2 barrels. I only know of two such guns existing?? I missed buying one a couple years back )-: Stocks will be either 14 1/4 or 14 3/4 look for the longer one. Good luck in your search, that's the fun part!..........Check Robin Hollow Outfitters as they have one listed with two triggers/....SXS Ohio
Kenny Graft is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Just for the sake of offering an opposing point of view from most others.

A 28 will be a light weight gun, the 20 not so much. If you like and shoot light guns well the 28 will fit the bill. If not, stick with the 20. I much prefer the extra weight.

I have two repro 20's with beavertail forends. I do not find them too bulky at all. For clays I rather prefer them to the splinter but shoot either type equally well. I have two equal 20's with the only difference being the forend style and the beavertail is the lighter of the two by one ounce. Go figure!

If you have no experience with a straight grip gun make sure you try a few before you buy. I have had two and they will be my last. Aesthetically pleasing but functionally not so for me.

If you are new to sxs's it would serve you well to attend a sxs specific shoot where you will be able to handle different configurations and make up your own mind about the perfect quail gun.
Unread 07-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Michael, take a look at this one. It has some of the features you desire, especially the long length of pull.

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default....=10&GunID=2875
lop
Unread 07-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Herb Hewlett
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default lop

I recently purchased a 20 ga, repro. with a 15 1/4" lop and a beavertail
fore end .It is a straight grip but it's what I prefer. 6lbs. 1 oz. and exactly what I was looking for.
It would really behoove you to join as a paying member and watch Parkers for sale. The longer stocks do show up. Herb
Herb Hewlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,603 Times in 984 Posts

Your Repro 20 Herb, with its 15 1/4" LOP and BT forend at 6 lbs. 1 oz. has got to be the lightest 20-ga. Repro in that configuration on the planet. You've certainly found a needle in a haystack with that one. Congrats!
repro
Unread 07-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Marty K.
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Default repro

I don't believe it...just doesn't make any sense...sorry
There are some things which cannot be learned quickly, and time, which is all we have, must be payed heavily for their acquiring...They are the very simplest things and because it takes a man's life to know them the little new that each man gets from life is very costly and the only heritage he has to leave.......E. Hemmingway
Marty Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Michael Baird
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ok, I'm now officially legit regarding membership. I have a couple more questions.
I have learned that Parker Reproductions came either varying LOP. Does DAH and DAC also vary among Repros or I are these parameters pretty much standard?
Also, I have located a very nice 28 ga that meets my criteria but I have NEVER used a 28 ga. I have lots of experience with 20 ga, currently have lots of 20 ga guns, and lots of 20 ga ammo. What are hour thoughts on 28 ga vs 20 ga on quail. Am I correct that the biggest appeal of the Parker Repo 28 ga is it's small size and light weight compared to the same in 20 ga?

Also, I just placed an add in the WTB section. Thanks
Michael Baird is offline   Reply With Quote