Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Unread 07-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #51
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
I agree with Michael, short shot strings are highly overrated. I don't think Bob Brister ever implied that ducks can't be killed with long shot strings. He did make good use of a wife and a Ford station wagon to calculate how far a duck flies between the first and the last shot in a string. As shotshell technology progresses, I am reluctant to give up either my wife or my 1974 460 powered Country Squire.
Hunting with one's wife? Do you mind if I tell a story? It's off top tho, but here goes:

I had just met the women who became my wife. I showed her some property my family owned that had quail on it. I said I was going quail hunting and she wanted to go along, but not shoot. "Okay" I said, "But if you want to do that there is an old tradition in hunting that you must adhere to." She said she would. I told her that if she spotted a bird that she should lean over and stretch out her arm and point her finger at the bird and put one foot directly out behind her. She takes instruction well and after a bit I saw her go "on Point". I followed her point and kicked up a bird and shot it. I turned to her and said, "Now go get it and be sure not to chew it up." She didn't want to touch it so I did.

Now 33 years of married bliss later, if I tell that story she becomes enraged, so I don't tell it much anymore. But you've heard it and it is still funny. She was in her 20's and cute as a bug's ear and an and outstanding pointer.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #52
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

My wife is a setter, not a pointer.
John Dallas is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #53
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info