Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Shotgun Shell Reloading

Notices

Unread 05-09-2019, 04:41 PM   #11
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Harm View Post
I don't know if what I do is correct, but I treat all 10ga hulls, Rem, Fed, and Win, all the same for reloading. They're all a straight walled hull. I use the 23grs of GD with a 1 1/8oz load - easy on the shoulder.
With everything being equal the Federal 10ga hull will have a little less pressure which I believe is due to the fiber base wad. I have fired thousands of Federal hull reloads and I have never seen a base wad come loose or missing. The hulls will eventually die from side splits and or crimp fatigue/tearing.
Unread 05-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #12
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I use Cheddites Federals and Remington hulls, don’t mix them with the same loads. Generally Cheddites for 1 1/8 target loads, Remingtons for 1 1/4 oz. Don't have many Federals cut down to 2 7/8,, do have a big box of Federals that will be cut & take the place of Cheddites as they split.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2019, 12:50 AM   #13
Kevin Lefebvre
Forum Associate

Member Info

I have IMR RED powder. How does the burn rate affect powder quantity? IMR RED is higher on the Hodgon list than IMR BLUE.
Kevin Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #14
William Davis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I don’t know of any published/tested short 10 loads using the new IMR Alliant clones other than the ones on the Hodgdon site & none of them looked good to me. Charges really large in volume. Speed and pressure look fine just use a lot more powder. Having said that Alliant Blue dot loads use big charges too.

Burn rate is important. I recommend sticking with PGCA member tested Alliant 19 Red Dot or 23.5 Green Dot loads.

William
William Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #15
J.B. Books
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lefebvre View Post
I have IMR RED powder. How does the burn rate affect powder quantity? IMR RED is higher on the Hodgon list than IMR BLUE.
IMR Red was advertised to be identical to Alliant Red Dot. From what I have read it is more dense and people are reporting having to go down two bushing sizes to get the same charge weight as Red Dot with a MEC press. That being said if I had any IMR Red I would use 19 grains of it with 1 1/8 ounce in the 2 7/8" 10ga. Weigh your charges until you get a consistent 19 grains of IMR Red with 1 1/8 ounce of lead and go shoot your gun.
Unread 05-16-2019, 12:48 AM   #16
Kevin Lefebvre
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Lester View Post
IMR Red was advertised to be identical to Alliant Red Dot. From what I have read it is more dense and people are reporting having to go down two bushing sizes to get the same charge weight as Red Dot with a MEC press. That being said if I had any IMR Red I would use 19 grains of it with 1 1/8 ounce in the 2 7/8" 10ga. Weigh your charges until you get a consistent 19 grains of IMR Red with 1 1/8 ounce of lead and go shoot your gun.
I used it with 18.5 grains with 1 ounce. It barely recoiled. Seemed like a light load. Il add more shot. Someone recommended 23 grains. I might try alittle under that.
Unread 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #17
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

I wouldn't jump up too high at one time. As recommended maybe 19 or 19.5 grs.
Unread 05-18-2019, 01:53 AM   #18
Kevin Lefebvre
Forum Associate

Member Info

How would I know if the pressure is to high?
Crazy recoil?

Smashed Primers?

Im using federal cut hulls.
Unread 05-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #19
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

You would have to send shells in to be tested. You won't get smashed primers with shotgun shells - we're working with a lot lower pressures than rifle pressures. I personally feel if I'm using a mild 12ga load it will be safe in the 10 because the chambers are bigger having more surface for pressures to work against. Get the free reloaders handbooks from Hodgdons or Alliant and compare loads in different gauges using the same powder and you'll see how pressures go down as the gauge goes up even with more powder. That 19gr load of Red Dot with a 1 1/8oz of shot is a old 12ga target load. The 23gr load was with Green Dot, not Red Dot. You're going down a road many argue against - they like only tested or manufactures loads. There aren't many with the 2 7/8 10ga so many of us do what we feel is safe. The faster burn rates are usually for light target loads. Less powder is needed. We have a number of loads here. Maybe stay with them till you get a little more experience. Promo and RD are the same, Promo is cheaper. I like the 19grs of Promo/1oz of shot or 23grs of GD/1oz of shot. But then I'm only shooting clay birds and those work fine without recoil.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!
Unread 05-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #20
Kevin Lefebvre
Forum Associate

Member Info

I dont mind recoil. I just wanted something with a little more power.