Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Parker Reproductions

Notices

Need advice and info on 28ga Repro mods
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Reproman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Need advice and info on 28ga Repro mods

I have a 28ga repro two barrel set (SG/DT/BTFE) and I'm seriously considering opening up the chokes. I have been reluctant to do so for fear of affecting the gun's value, but find I have no use for a 28" M/F barrel (IM/XXF in reality).

I have no intention of ever selling the gun, so opening the 26" barrels to Q1/Q2 and the 28" to IC/M seems like a good alternative that would allow me to fully utilize both barrels of the set. I hunt infrequently, but shoot a lot of clay targets (skeet, sporting clays, and five stand).

Am I on track here, or should I continue to ignore this impulse and stick to shooting the 26" barrel only?

If I do decide to go for it, any recommendations on who could best do the work? I live in the Atlanta, GA area.

Any and all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Marvin Kells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

It's your gun Marvin. If the future value of the gun is inconsequential to you then go for it. I do quite well with my 26" imp/mod barrels at both skeet and hunting and have never wished for a set of mod/full barrels. Sounds like a winning combination to me.
The best man for chokes is Mike Orlen and he lives in Amherst Ma. I don't have his contact info with me at the moment but someone will post it here for certain.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,604 Times in 984 Posts

Here's another possibilty Marvin...how about just ordering an additional new 28" bbl. set from CSMC and have that set choked to suit you. Then you'd never have to be concerned about altering the originality of your gun. Who knows---maybe we still worry after we're dead.
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Double Play
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,770 Times in 635 Posts

Mike Orlen
79 Salem Street
Amherst, MA. 01002
(413) 253-5665
Larry Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry Frey For Your Post:
Unread 02-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
Reproman
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Baehman View Post
Here's another possibilty Marvin...how about just ordering an additional new 28" bbl. set from CSMC and have that set choked to suit you. Then you'd never have to be concerned about altering the originality of your gun. Who knows---maybe we still worry after we're dead.
Greg,

I like that idea, except for the $$$ part. The CSMC website, however, indicates 28 ga barrels are available only for "0" frame sizes. Only .410 barrels are available for the "00" frame. Let me know if this is incorrect, or if I'm missing something.
Marvin Kells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Joe Bernfeld
Forum Associate

Member Info

Marvin, do it! That gun should have been available in a 26" Q1/Q2, 28" IC/Mod combination originally. If it were me, I'd pay as much (or more) for one that was rechoked to that configuration, as an original one with the too-tight chokes.
Joe
Joe Bernfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Labowner
PGCA Member

Member Info

I agree with Joe, By the time you are interested in selling it the gun will be in well used condition [ not collector condition] and some one will jump on finding a Twenty Eight ga. with those choke selections. That said I really don't care what my skeet gun is choked after shooting a friends 410 over and under choked full and full with a 1/2 oz. of shot and shooting one of the best rounds of my life.

Last edited by E Robert Fabian; 02-05-2010 at 10:12 PM..
E Robert Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,604 Times in 984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Kells View Post
Greg,

I like that idea, except for the $$$ part. The CSMC website, however, indicates 28 ga barrels are available only for "0" frame sizes. Only .410 barrels are available for the "00" frame. Let me know if this is incorrect, or if I'm missing something.
It appears you're right Marvin, my mistake; IMHO I believe CSMC is missing the boat by not offering a 00-frame set of 28" or 30" bbls. Have you shot your M/F set of bbls. at 5-stand? I shoot our club's 5-stand set up with the 28" M/F pair of bbls. of my 28-ga. Parker Repro 2-bbl. set and seem to score as well with them as I do with any other gun.

You know how anal most Parker owners are with their Parkers and what they'll probably say should you have the chokes altered--"some yahoo went and opened the chokes and destroyed its originality and therefore its value!"

That's a scarce configured gun you have, I'd recommend you leave them original as is, or better yet...sell or trade that gun to me!
Greg Baehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
C.O.B.
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 6,320 Times in 2,082 Posts

My 28ga has 28 inch bbls choked skeet in/skeet out and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Rich Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #10
Chuck Heald
Forum Associate

Member Info

If you really don't care about the resale value and want the most utility from your 28" set, put some Briley choke tubes in it and be done with it. You'll be able to have any choke from cylinder to full.

There! I've said it! ....He did say he had no intention of ever selling it.

Me? I'd leave them as is and learn to puff those targets with it. I have a BSS 20g with F/M that I have shot great skeet with, won a buckle for small gauge sporting clays, and hunted pen raised chukar and pheasant as well as wild SoDak pheasant with successfully. I've never wanted to open the chokes since that first round of skeet I shot with it when I ran the field...and trust me, I'm no competitive clay shooter.
Chuck Heald is offline   Reply With Quote