Notices

Just stuff
Unread 01-24-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
Phil Yearout
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,059 Posts

Default Just stuff

I know there are more high tech, lighter, or more expensive boots out there, but these old Redwings have stomped a lot of bird covers, and so far they've always brought me home. I neglect them, usually, remembering them only right before I'm gonna need them again.

Tonight I dug them out of the duffle bag - rough, dry, the color faded nearly white and with a few more scars than I remembered. I sloughed on the mink oil, rubbed in well into the seams, put a little extra everywhere there's a new gouge or scrape. Friday I leave for the last hunt of the season, and after a weekend of tramping across a few miles of prairie they'll look just like they did tonight when I started. Despite my best intentions they'll probably lay there like that until next year; in fact, probably until the night before opening day. With any luck, I'll still be here to repeat the ritual.

We all talk about the stories our guns could tell. Truth be known, these old boots could probably out-talk them all...

Unread 01-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Don't we all know that!

I can't seem to relegate my worn out hunting gear to the trash heap... just can't do it. In so many ways they are my patina... they are the testimonial to my 'provenance.' And they help to tell my story to those who will quietly listen with their eyes.
I have chaps, goatskin gloves, boots, vests, hats that I don't wear anymore because they are just too far gone. They have long since served their purpose and worn themselves out protecting me and fulfilling my needs.
The ones I still use I will probably neglect just like you and many others do. We take them for granted I guess, but where would we be if we didn't have them?

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2018, 01:43 AM   #3
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

I have sent the pair of Orvis Gokey, all leather snake boots, that I received from my Dad when I graduated from college (more than a few years ago), back to Orvis three times in the 36 years I have owned them....the first time, they called and said they wanted to send me a new pair of boots...after several calls, they understood I just wanted new soles, as I have literally hunted all over the world, in four continents, wearing those boots. Gokey complied, and the next two times, I had not to say a thing. A rep called me both times assuring me that they would retain everything on the boots salvageble. Those boots have turned back three rattler strikes, one gaboon viper strike in the Kalihari desert of Botswana, a pissed off blue heeler hog dog in the midst of dispatching a russian boar at a midnight “baying”in the Texas Hill Country and allowed me to kick a porcupine away from my best Setter a couple of decades ago. They are old fashioned, heavy, and ugly. And although I now own several other pairs of snake boots, unless I require water proof, I go to the gokeys, they are my “old friends”!!,
Unread 01-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
BS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Phil,
I have the same Redwing boots as you, extremely comfortable and lightweight. I wear mine most of the week for work as well for every hunting trip. I have other boots but those are my go to boots and it's amazing how well they clean up with mink oil.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brett Souder For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

Old "hunting stuff" is hard to let go. My collection includes my grandfather's Lefever, several pictures of him and my dad in hunting themes, two of my grandfather's police style dog whistles that go way back. My grandfather was born in 1856, died in 1929, so his "stuff" goes way back. His Lefever pigeon gun was made in 1887. I also have a collection of collars and tags from every setter or pointer that has ever been a member of my family since my first Irish Setter, born in 1948 when I was two years old. Recently, I finally let go of an expensive set of chest waders to a shooting buddy, no charge. I am smart enough to know that these waders could get me killed in my debilitated physical condition, so they went away. I have my dad's Jones hat and unfortunately, it doesn't quite fit me. I have not had the heart to sell any of his remaining bird guns, although one was sold shortly after his death. There is no one to care for this stuff or any of my stuff, so I guess it will be sold or given to someone when I am gone. I guess you guys will be first in line. Murphy
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Murphy For Your Post:
Unread 01-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
Bill Jolliff
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,173 Times in 268 Posts

I agree wholeheartedly with everything said above about "your stuff", especially your old stuff that has become part of you and not likely to be easily replaced with something else.

I'd like to share my story of my L. L. Bean Maine Guide boots pictured below. I got them 48 years ago this month. They are on their 4th set of lowers replaced by Bean in Maine. The last time the cost was about $40.00 because they had to add some leather to stitch the new rubber bottoms to. They said they probably could not replace the lowers any more. That's OK, I'm 81 and not too likely to wear the bottoms out again but I'll try.

And as an alternative, they offered me a new set of boots at no charge instead of replacing the lowers. Nope, I wanted my old ones.

Those lacings I use are parachute cord. Works good.

A good friend of mine who I did a lot of hunting and fishing with died last month. As a tribute to him and the many times we hunted grouse together, I wore those boots to his memorial service.

Ah, yes, our treasured stuff.

http://
Bill Jolliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
They are old fashioned, heavy, and ugly. And although I now own several other pairs of snake boots, unless I require water proof, I go to the gokeys, they are my “old friends”!!,
I disagree, I'd say they are just getting into their prime and sounds like you have gotten some dang good proper use out of them. I have the all leather Gokey boots as well, but mine are only 10 years old. Yep they are heavier than some, but worth it, for the peace of mind. I don't think they are ugly at all and have been told so and complimented by a couple of women that I know that have briefly seen me wear mine. Every time they say "why don't men wear tall boots anymore". I could care less about the fashion part of it, but their comments surprised me. If they function to protect me from a bite, protect your clothes, heck have even worn them for trail rides, then good, bad or ugly all works for me.

Now that is a testament stopping a Gaboon Viper hit. They have two inch fangs and are heavy and strong enough to get through something not designed for snake protection. You need to let Orvis know about that.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2018, 03:28 PM   #8
TxHuntermn
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,318 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
I disagree, I'd say they are just getting into their prime and sounds like you have gotten some dang good proper use out of them. I have the all leather Gokey boots as well, but mine are only 10 years old. Yep they are heavier than some, but worth it, for the peace of mind. I don't think they are ugly at all and have been told so and complimented by a couple of women that I know that have briefly seen me wear mine. Every time they say "why don't men wear tall boots anymore". I could care less about the fashion part of it, but their comments surprised me. If they function to protect me from a bite, protect your clothes, heck have even worn them for trail rides, then good, bad or ugly all works for me.

Now that is a testament stopping a Gaboon Viper hit. They have two inch fangs and are heavy and strong enough to get through something not designed for snake protection. You need to let Orvis know about that.
I was being tongue in cheek with the ugly comment, but mine are also equipped with LOTS of "patina" Oh, and I need to set the record straight....the snake in Africa was a Puff Adder, not a Gaboon Viper!! I don't know what kind of "Freudian typo" made me pull that name up! Although the 'ol Puff adder is no slouch in the fang department either! It felt like someone was using a driver to knock my foot out from under me! The scary thing was that my wife was immediately behind me on the trail, and she was wearing chukka boots! Needless to say, my yelling, and the .416 Remington shot screwed up the Hartebeest we were stalking for Robin! Two Bushman trackers walking the same trail, just ahead of me walked right by that snake barefoot! That was the last day of our hunting safari, and the only day I wore snake boots. The rest of the trip I wore a pair of Westley Richards buffalo hide low tops, but I had soaked them through the evening before helping the PH's work on the camp water well, so I wore the Gokey's that I had brought for back-up!

A couple of shots of the subject boots!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sundaysnipe.jpg (140.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg november stuff 018.jpg (527.3 KB, 8 views)
Unread 01-26-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,039 Times in 12,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Poer View Post
A couple of women that I know that have briefly seen me wear mine. Every time they say "why don't men wear tall boots anymore". I could care less about the fashion part of it, but their comments surprised me.

Young men do wear tall boots anymore, they just leave them wide open and look like slobs (but they think they're making a fashion statement.) but they are not outdoorsmen at all.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 01-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #10
Bill Murphy
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,780 Times in 4,716 Posts

The lack of comments about my post has made me change my decision to make my "stuff" available to PGCA posters. I don't think there is enough interest here to make this a good venue to get rid of my excess. Just kidding of course. Watch the obituaries.
Bill Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote