Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

another bull with a double
Unread 10-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default another bull with a double

Today is the last day of our elk season. I've been hunting with two of my granddaughters Abby 13 and Cheyenne 16. This is their first year big game hunting. We've been out every day for a week and had only seen a few cows and calves until Cheyenne and I made our second walk this morning. We hadn't gone one hundred yards from the truck when I spotted five elk feeding about forty yards away in the brush. A quick look down low at the nearest confirmed it was a bull. When he walked out from behind the tree that was hiding his head I confirmed he was spike and sent him 286 grain engraved invitation to come winter in my freezer. He accepted the invitation and ran directly towards us and stopped about fifteen yards away. With him was another smaller spike. I told Cheyenne "shoot the second one" and a couple of seconds later the real work began.

We'll be cutting elk meet next week. The only bad thing is I have wait another year before I can do it again.

Here's pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014 spike R.JPG (426.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Cheyenne's first elk 2014.jpg (595.8 KB, 13 views)
Dennis E. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

some mighty good looking hunters you have with a lot of good memories for you and them..they also are lucky to have a grandpa who will take them hunting...lucky ya ll.... charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis E. Jones View Post
The only bad thing is I have wait another year before I can do it again.

I would think you can get some mulie doe tags or something to plow this year .

Incidently who made your double and is it rifled , paradox or smooth ?

Galazan's rifled double twenty has intrigued me for awhile , but I think if I were going to get up off the schekels I'd rather have an old English rifled or Para gun !

Champlain has what I think is a very very nice 8 bore fully rifled double at the moment with some extra goodies all cased but if my memory serves that ones a little cost prohibitive at 40 or so G's !
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Elk Hunter
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThompson View Post
I would think you can get some mulie doe tags or something to plow this year .

Incidently who made your double and is it rifled , paradox or smooth ?

Galazan's rifled double twenty has intrigued me for awhile , but I think if I were going to get up off the schekels I'd rather have an old English rifled or Para gun !

Champlain has what I think is a very very nice 8 bore fully rifled double at the moment with some extra goodies all cased but if my memory serves that ones a little cost prohibitive at 40 or so G's !

As for doe tags they are almost nonexistent in Oregon. Our mule deer population is way down. I've given up hunting deer because they are so scarce close to home.

This particular double is a true rifle in 9.3 x 74 made by Chapuis. This was the fourth bull I've taken with it. I too would love to have a paradox and regret not buying one when they were more affordable. I've wanted to build one for some time, but other projects have taken precedence.

As for gauge bore rifles, again I'd love to have one and intend to build a single shot muzzle loader in sixteen bore, patterned after an English stalking rifle, to use on elk. Just imagine what a one ounce pure lead ball backed by 140 grains of black powder will do.
Dennis E. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
Jeff Bonadurer
Forum Associate

Member Info

Dennis,

Nice job on everyone's part.
Congrats to you both !

Best regards,

Jeff

P.S.
An elk burger sure sounds good right now.
Unread 10-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #6
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis E. Jones View Post
As for doe tags they are almost nonexistent in Oregon. Our mule deer population is way down. I've given up hunting deer because they are so scarce close to home.

This particular double is a true rifle in 9.3 x 74 made by Chapuis. This was the fourth bull I've taken with it. I too would love to have a paradox and regret not buying one when they were more affordable. I've wanted to build one for some time, but other projects have taken precedence.

As for gauge bore rifles, again I'd love to have one and intend to build a single shot muzzle loader in sixteen bore, patterned after an English stalking rifle, to use on elk. Just imagine what a one ounce pure lead ball backed by 140 grains of black powder will do.
ML season opens in the morning here in VA !

It is my plan to take my old Knight 45 cal Disc Rifle , but the curve in the game is my plan to also haul up my tree a circa 1850-1860 MacFarlane 10 gauge double barrel percussion ML loaded with 80 grains of 777 2Fg and nine 00 Buck pellets in each barrel . If a deer comes by within 25 yards the shotgun gets the nod , otherwise if I see something the 40 cal bullet in the 45 cal sabot will be used !
Unread 10-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

hope you get to use that 10 ga..good luck....charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
Carvel
PGCA Member

Member Info

In spite of all the rain and wind, me and my 3 hunting friends put 8 in the cooler today. The new muzzel loaders performed well. 45 cal without sabots, 275 gr parker bullets sized down so you can get them down the barrel at about 2500 fps. Carvel
Carvel Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carvel Whaley View Post
In spite of all the rain and wind, me and my 3 hunting friends put 8 in the cooler today. The new muzzel loaders performed well. 45 cal without sabots, 275 gr parker bullets sized down so you can get them down the barrel at about 2500 fps. Carvel
Well I didn't see a frickin thing Saturday morning . As you said frickin wind was blowing !
I sit about 50 yards off my property line and someone was hunting on the neighbors I was unaware of . Anyway long about 8:15 or so they shot and I came close to jumping out the tree as I hadn't expected that LOL's !

I came down about 9:15AM as I had to take my pop to the Montpelier Hunt Races about 3 miles from our place . I didn't try it today even though sunday hunting is now legal in the Old Dominion !

I will be out in the AM although it's supposed to be below freezing in the AM

Incidently in my Knight Disc 45 cal I shoot the Hornady 200 SST pushed with 110 grains of 777 3Fg granulated . Load killed very well out to about 150 yards . May do okay further I just never have had the option to try any further where I hunt . On an average of the 250+ deer I've killed in my life my lifetime average is about 42 yards .