Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

First Day Out !
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Thanked 3,566 Times in 1,099 Posts

Default First Day Out !

Finally got out for a little Bird Hunting yesterday morning ,we set out for Pheasant with my Buddy's new English Pointer ,he isn't a Pup about two or so , a rescued dog so to speak ! We hunted a couple of hours and the new Dog had a couple of points with those running Rascals tricking him a bit ,my Hunting Partner , the Dogs owner bought a couple of Pheasants this past summer and has been working him on them ,he is coming along but Pheasants in vast open areas are hard even for an Old Veteran Dog to hold ! Eventually I mentioned we should try and get Him into some Woodcock and we were hunting close to one of My and Chips old Woodcock Covers and since Chip has Passed On since last season I thought it might be nice to get my Buddies new Dog in their and give it a go ! We entered the cover and in just a few minutes " Bruno " struck a beautiful point and My Buddy moved in to hopefully shoot His First Woodcock over his new Dog sadly it didn't work out that way as the Bird flushed back over me ,he yelled to take him and the Little VH ,28 cracked and down came the First Woodcock of the season ! We celebrated the beautiful point and gave old Bruno a good petting and moved on , we found four more birds with Rich getting the next and me the one after for a total of three coming home to be made into a Fine Bowl of Woodcock Pate' !!!! Sorry no pictures attached as I forgot my camera ,hopefully next time we will again have something to take photos of and I won't be so darned forgetful ! Good Hunting ! Russ

Last edited by Russ Jackson; 10-28-2014 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: Bad Typing
Russ Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jackson For Your Post:
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
OH Osthaus
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 8,157 Times in 3,260 Posts

good work- as long as someone made the point work out- the dog gets rewarded

George Bird Evans once advised - for the dog's sake, try not to miss the first bird of the year. And for your sake, try not to miss the last.
Unread 10-28-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Sounds like Good advice !
Unread 10-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

sounds like ya ll had a fine hunt..the young dog will be better each hunt...and how was the wood cock pate..is this a soup...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Hey Charlie how are you and how is the new hunting season getting on ? The Pate' is a spread perfect for crackers etc. ! I have the recipe in the Recipe section and it is delicious if you like all the ingredients ,along with the Woodcock it makes a very good snack ! I always attempt to have a couple ramekins for the Thanksgiving Holiday as my one niece which comes to visit is crazy about it ! All these years my Daughter wouldn't even taste it but finally last year we convinced her to try it and she couldn't get over how good it is so this year I hope to fetch a couple of extra Woodcock ! For a number of years I have self imposed a Season Limit of a dozen birds but I don't believe 16 would be too many to have an extra bite !
Unread 10-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,794 Times in 3,967 Posts

russ hunting is going well this new season have several squirls in the deepfreeze but getting a deer with the 8 ga pumpkin ball is top priority for now our season starts with guns in about 3 weeks...i don t think 16 birds would be to much either..have you posted your recipe on the forum or is it a secret recipe.ha charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #7
Brush Buster
PGCA Member
Second Badge

Member Info

Hi Charlie ,if you just click on " Hunting With Parker's "and look at the top of the page Charlie ,you will see " Wild Game Recipe's " go to page 2 about 1/3 of the way down is the " Woodcock Pate " recipe ! It really is very good,I wonder if any one has tried it ?