Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

grandaughters big buck
Unread 10-03-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 7,795 Times in 3,967 Posts

Default grandaughters big buck

want have time to tell the story tonight but it been oneexciteing night at my house tonight...my granddaughter who just turned 14 went bow hunting this evening by herself and killed a large 10 point with a bow set at 25 lbs of pull..the deer weighed 197.. will tell the rest of storey tommorrow nite i m just to tired to finish and yes i m a proud grand pa...charlie
charlie cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #2
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,240 Times in 12,378 Posts

I can't wait to hear the story and see some pictures. It's great when the girls get out there and hunt and it's even better when the score all by themselves! As the father of two daughters (no sons) and three granddaughters I can really appreciate their accomplishments when they do it their way all by themselves.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,345 Times in 4,421 Posts

Very exciting news! I am looking forward to my boys doing their first shooting
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

i was cleaning off some shelves in my shop when i heard my wife calling me i..she said i was needed at the dove field that katie thats my granddaughters name had shot a deer and needed my help. so i run into the house and get 2 good flashlights my wife bessie grabs her camera and we loaded up in the pickup and so did our 2 dogs daisey the squirl dog and lulu which is a half lab..so oft to the dove field i stop and hollar for katie no answer but i thought i knew where she would be sure nough there i seen her lite..she was useing the lite on the cell phone..when i get to her shes very excited and says she has shot a big buck she thinks she hit him in the spine.i ask her to tell me about seeing the deer while we waited for the buck to bed down or die..she said first two does came out into food plot then behind them she seen this large buck.she said she got to shakeing and could not shoot she was so nerveous then she said she breathed several deep breaths and calmed down some. she then drew back the bow and let go with a good shot to the back.she was shooting almost straight down...the deer fell in its tracks but got back up she then text her dad and ask should she leave her bow up the tree and get down and check out the deer brad said no if she had another arrow to shoot the deer againas she notched another arrow the deerpulled itself down a small hill this is when she called me and i arrived at this time..so now we started looking for the deer we had not gone 100 foot when i spoted the deer it was up on its front feet but its back legs were trapped between 2 small bushes about the size of your thumbs one back leg caught in one bush and the other leg caught in the other bush.this deer s back legs were paralized from the 1 st arrow she had shot.she had grazed its backbone and paralized its back half of this deer body.what a magnifacent buck he washorns standing high...a beautiful site for sure but kinda sad too..we eased up to about 25 ft from the deer i told her to shoot the deer behind the front shoulder she takes aim and hit the deer high in the back i told her to settle down and shoot again then i said lets get 5 foot closer then she shot again but hit it high again... i then told her to go get my 22 ruger bearcati would stay and watch the deer....as she left it began to rain pretty soon it was coming a storm here i am with tee shirt and sneakers man was i getting cold...the wind and rain disturbed the deer he tried to get up several times but he was going nowhere..i thought i have a good pocket knife maybe i can cut its throat but after i judged the sitution i decided i d better leave that knife in my pocket for this deer still had a lot of life in him..meantime brad katies father arrived i told him i had sent for a gun now katie had been gone a good while it seemed to me so brad goes to check on her...then hes gone for a long time...finally they get back i asked katie what took her so long well they could not find shells for the 22 the shotgun in the corner they could find no shells for it..so brad tells katie onthe phone to go get her rifle she said she could not find her gun in her room she went to her brothers room he had it then she could not find the clip then finally they found the shells brad said that was good enough mean time i m down here with the big buck keep ing watch on himthey finally arrivewith gun and cameras katie took aim and put the grand old buck out of his suffering..what a excited bunch we were brad could not take pictures for a while he was shaking so....after we settled down some we began the job of getting that buck up the hill after 3 rests we had him in the truck..what a happy bunch we were..we put himout by my car shed and called a friend who is a taxiderist he wanted to skin out the deers head and cape for a shoulder mount we weighed the deer it weighed 197lbs...a full ten point ..16 1/4 across the inside and 18in across the outside..after some more picture takeing we took the deer to the deer shake to have it processed it was now 11.15pm when i got home..i was soaked tired but one happy grandpa....charlie
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to charlie cleveland For Your Post:
Unread 10-03-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
wayne goerres
Forum Associate

Member Info

Congratulations to both you and your grand daughter. That's probable better then getting one with an 8ga load.
wayne goerres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
charlie cleveland
PGCA Member

Member Info

yore right wayne it was better than me getting one with the 8 ga pumkin ball load..it is a night i will long remember...charlie.
Unread 10-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

That is good cool Charlie. Good for your grand daughter. She'll never forget that night. My sisters son in law just did the same thing - got a monster 10-pt buck on day 1 or 2 of the Michigan bow season. Deer like his are extremely rare in that part of Michigan.
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #8
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

Richard - Where was the deer shot? (No, not "through the lungs") - you know what I mean
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Richard Flanders
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,717 Posts

On private land around Metamora somewhere. He just emailed me that it scored 142. He's 6'10" but that deer still looks big.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141002_220455.jpg (343.1 KB, 4 views)
Richard Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Richard Flanders For Your Post:
Unread 10-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,557 Posts

A friend of mine has some property in Metamora. He's taken several brutes out of there. When I've been out there, haven't seen anything worth wasting an arrow on
John Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote