Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

Unread 01-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #11
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,147 Times in 622 Posts

Craig, I have never eaten one before, but I will be able to tell you tomorrow night. I got some mixed opinions on how good they were and how to cook them. Looking forward to finding out...
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 01-14-2019, 12:49 AM   #12
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Oliver View Post
Craig, I have never eaten one before, but I will be able to tell you tomorrow night. I got some mixed opinions on how good they were and how to cook them. Looking forward to finding out...
There’s a guy here that I preserve hunt with a couple times a year . Seems to me he and his ex wife went to NC and killed a pair around five years ago , just don’t remember how he said they were at the table .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2019, 12:49 AM   #13
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

If you don’t mind saying who’s guide service did you use ?
Unread 01-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #14
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

I had a swan fly over while hunting on the Altamaha River several years ago. It was too high and I was not sure if they were in season, so I passed. Was a cool experience though.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #15
Matt Buckley
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,182 Times in 260 Posts

ITX is softer than steel but is harder than Bismuth and I suppose with larger shot could possibly be a problem with tight chokes. Ballistic Products is probably being extra cautious with what they recommend through damascus and twist steel barrels.
Matt Buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
Jack Kuzepski
PGCA Member

Member Info

Jay,

Congratulations on your hunt. I hunted the same area about 14 years ago. I was hunting with a college buddy and his wife. Both he and I got swans, his wife wasn't lucky that trip.
He and I were using Ithaca 37'S, his wife was using a semi-auto. All were 12 ga 3" using T shot. My wife cooked mine with wine. It was really good.
I've been wanting to get back down there and do it again this time with my 10 ga zero grade, 3 frame 1888 hammer Parker. I am thinking about using IMR 7625 with bismuth, however you got me thinking about using IXT shot.
Again - Congratulations

Jack Kuzepski
Jack Kuzepski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #17
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Kuzepski View Post
I've been wanting to get back down there and do it again this time with my 10 ga zero grade, 3 frame 1888 hammer Parker. I am thinking about using IMR 7625 with bismuth, however you got me thinking about using IXT shot.
Again - Congratulations

Jack Kuzepski
FWIW , for web foot creatures I load 1 1/4 weighed ounces of Bismuth in an SP-10 wad pushed with 30 grains of SR7625 and it patterns well in all my 10’s I’ve tried it in , almost forgot I do put a 16 gauge overshot wad on top to keep the crimp flatter .
Unread 01-15-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,147 Times in 622 Posts

Craig, I will send you the guide information. I don't have it, but I asked my friend for it. I was along for the ride on this trip and just showed up with my 10 gauge Parker and black powder shells.

You do have to apply for a tundra swan permit, which works on a lottery system. Some guide services may already have permits they can let their clients use. From what my friend told me the chances a very good for a permit. He has applied and received his permit the last 4 years in a row.

By the way I didn't get to cook anything last night, but I will tonight. I will let you know how it turns out.

On the ITX BB shot, I probably would not have used it had I know that it wasn't recommended. However, after patterning it and hunting with it using black powder I would use the same load again if I was swan or goose hunting(black powder only). Balistic Products may have been overly cautious, which I certainly understand. I did some searching and I can't find any BB sized bismuth sold in loose shot. So if you want softer than steel BBs or even BBBs, ITX may be the only option(please correct me if I am wrong on this).
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post:
Unread 01-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #19
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Oliver View Post
Craig, I will send you the guide information. I don't have it, but I asked my friend for it. I was along for the ride on this trip and just showed up with my 10 gauge Parker and black powder shells.

You do have to apply for a tundra swan permit, which works on a lottery system. Some guide services may already have permits they can let their clients use. From what my friend told me the chances a very good for a permit. He has applied and received his permit the last 4 years in a row.

By the way I didn't get to cook anything last night, but I will tonight. I will let you know how it turns out.

On the ITX BB shot, I probably would not have used it had I know that it wasn't recommended. However, after patterning it and hunting with it using black powder I would use the same load again if I was swan or goose hunting(black powder only). Balistic Products may have been overly cautious, which I certainly understand. I did some searching and I can't find any BB sized bismuth sold in loose shot. So if you want softer than steel BBs or even BBBs, ITX may be the only option(please correct me if I am wrong on this).
Thanks ! A high school/ Parker friend stopped by the shop today and as I was showing him a Parker at my truck I asked him if he was intrested in going next year for a swan hunt and he told me he was headed down next week I believe he said ! Told me he went two years ago and got one didn’t draw a tag last year and got another this time . As to loose Bismuth I got all I have from Precision Reloading #1’s and BPI #2’s and #4’s . Seems to me Precision also had Bismuth in BB’s .
Unread 01-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #20
Loren A Wilcox
PGCA Member

Member Info

I shot one a year ago along with my 2 nephews and son in law. My son in law is in USMC while he was at Camp Pendleton in California. He meet a chef there we cut the Breast in 3/8 inch strips and fried them in butter. We cooked them like you would a steak. Do not over cook them. They were very good Loren
Loren A Wilcox is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren A Wilcox For Your Post: