Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums Hunting with Parkers

Notices

20 ga on ducks
Unread 11-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #11
davidboyles
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default 20 ga on ducks

I like the sound of these guns on ducks. I'm going to try for the first time my 20 DHE 30" steel barrels in Ms on Beaver Dam Lake as a guest in Jan. Question: I bought Kent Bismuth 1 oz. #5 to use on mostly their big ducks like Mallards. My barrels are both Full choke. Is this a good mix???
davidboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidboyles For Your Post:
Unread 11-07-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,409 Times in 293 Posts

David -

I have been shooting 20 gauge Kent tungsten Matrix 1 oz number 5 1350 FPS for years. I have used it in both my 0 frame and 1 frame guns.
Recognize, it is a Hot Load. There is risk to your gun. Make sure you have substantial Barrel wall thickness especially in the high-pressure area. Also consider that this load will push the envelope on your wood, and you could experience a crack or worse.

Given those concerns I buy my guns to hunt them. The enjoyment of taking them out into the marsh far exceeds the downside concerns of a crack in the stock. (Barrel wall thickness being crossed off the list of concerns after a thorough check.)

In my opinion the Kent tungsten Matrix is the best product out there. The above mentioned load absolutely crushes ducks! any size, any color,, on any given day!
I have never been afraid to use that load on decoying geese either.

I hope you have a big hunt. Please give us a report when you return. Safety First. Kind regards. Mark

– Gordon MacQuarrie, The Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, 1985
MARK KIRCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MARK KIRCHER For Your Post:
Unread 11-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #13
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Ok -We are frozen out here in NY so time for another post of hunt gone by.

Last Thursday hunt at Vanderbilt - 5 minutes after shooting time we were late setting up because we had to break ice. Doug was not even loaded when we had a group of 8 travellers come into our blind with minimal calling. I had them dead on the cross, but one more quack and they turned right towards me.... 15 yards out and touching their toes - I had a drake on my front bead when two birds began to cross in flight... I saw the gap shrink, swung to them, and the timing was right. Then I went back to the drake. 3 big fat ones stone dead with 2 shots -

GHE 20 32 inch F/F with Kent matrix 1 oz #5 - and upon inspection, many shots penetrated through these ducks. - I remain a HUGE fan of Kent Matrix.

Right spot, Right time - Thank goodness it went my way. The over and under was at 2 when they turned. Anything less and I would have been inconsolable!

Next stop the elusive Double Double!

I can dream right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181115_063916.jpg (513.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Rocky - last bird of triple in 13.jpg (468.4 KB, 2 views)

Unread 11-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #14
Big D
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,597 Times in 1,550 Posts

I dunno. I don't like straight thru penetration. Means a lot of energy didn't stay in the game, whether duck or deer. I prefer what I call the "Splat Factor". Nothing is better than a slower moving bunch of soft lead
Unread 11-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #15
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidboyles View Post
I like the sound of these guns on ducks. I'm going to try for the first time my 20 DHE 30" steel barrels in Ms on Beaver Dam Lake as a guest in Jan. Question: I bought Kent Bismuth 1 oz. #5 to use on mostly their big ducks like Mallards. My barrels are both Full choke. Is this a good mix???
David……the only way to know for sure how effective a load will be from a given barrel is to shoot paper. I know most people don’t do this but it is the only way to definitively determine which load and shot size works best for a particular gun. The results are sometimes surprising. In general, I have found that large shot patterns are lacking in the 20 bore. This is why I don’t use shot size larger than #6 in a 20. In general, a good shooting full choke 20 bore should be a 45 yard gun with the heavier 1 oz. load. I load 1 oz. 20 bore loads but keep the velocity to about 1200 fps and I only use the 1 oz. load on ducks. I much prefer the 7/8 oz. load for everything else.

I don't consider the 20 bore a duck gun per se. But if used within its limitations and with the proper load, it is a fun gun to take ducks with.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post:
Unread 11-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #16
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

And another for those interested...........

Fresh mallards came into the Bay last week with all the marshes frozen here.
I just bought a TDB 17 foot this fall. Took her out for a maiden hunt voyage of about 1/4 mile to north of my house. Had the young Pup Ellie with me as she was back from training while my daughter was home for Thanksgiving.

It was a great day for a hunt as winds were 25-30 MPH. Not such a great day to test hunt a new boat. Hence my reluctance to go far. So I set up at the first north point. Build a blind with what I had. Some Burlap and an old piece of canvas (painfully unprepared)... threw out 6 blocks and sat down just hoping to get Ellie her first live duck.

Wasn't 20 minutes and 3 flight birds came from the south on final approach. I let the first one come all the way in and crushed him at 15 feet - then swung for his twin brother and dropped him 20 yards out front. Ellie was out of the boat and into the reeds for the first bird before I could blink. Back she came while I watched the second flounder out front and fumbled for my camera. I sent her for the second but she needed a little coaxing until she saw the movement. Then off to the races for the second. I was beaming proud - My first ducks for the new pup! and a double on drakes to boot!

Finished off my limit within the hour and headed in for a fire and a bourbon. It has been quite a couple weeks for me and my 20 gauge 32".

I have been smiling a lot lately. I will take them as they come. Best time of the year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181121_143458.jpg (513.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20181121_143616.jpg (496.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20181121_144434.jpg (515.0 KB, 3 views)

Unread 11-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #17
Double Lab
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 6,083 Times in 2,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK KIRCHER View Post

Finished off my limit within the hour and headed in for a fire and a bourbon. It has been quite a couple weeks for me and my 20 gauge 32".

I have been smiling a lot lately. I will take them as they come. Best time of the year!
Amen brother. Great job with the new pup and the smallbore.
Unread 11-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,599 Times in 1,016 Posts

Mark, after reading your latest post and looking at the pictures, I had to take another Norvasc. I was anchored here at home all last week after my wife invited her whole extended family to our house for Thanksgiving week - 9 people! (Her sister and Bro IL live in Spencerport NY).

Our duck season first half closed the day after Thanksgiving and opens up again on Dec. 12, at which time I will disappear for a week to the Eastern Shore of MD. We've had cold weather but no ice so far, and it sounds like your recent influx of birds may push some more down our way. I sure hope so!
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post:
Unread 11-26-2018, 12:15 PM   #19
Mark Kircher
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Kevin -

Ugh! Your time is coming my Friend!!! Get em!

Living vicariously through my friends and fellow hunters on days I cannot get out is one of my favorite parts of this site! I hope my stories bring hope to those trapped inside - As others stories do for me!

We are wishing for this weeks thaw to get us back in the marshes. I pulled my TDB to get a blind set up built in case we can't - and have my best man on it right now.

More to come I hope!! I am rooting for you come the 12th!!! We will be shut down then. Our Roles reversed. Please post some pics for me. I will have "The Fever" BAD!!! by then

Mark -

Unread 11-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #20
Setter Man
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,636 Times in 634 Posts

You all shooting 2-3/4' or 3" out of your 20/32's?
Jay Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote