Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Some random thoughts on the average Parker 12 ga
Unread 08-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #1
Rick Riddell
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Some random thoughts on the average Parker 12 ga

I haven't been able to see or examine many high grade Parkers, but the ones I typically encounter have been 1 1/2 to 2 frame guns from Trojan to grade 3. These are very robust guns considering the trend we see these days with lighter frame and barreled guns. I started my career of collecting and using cane rods. Over the years have collected/sold and used just about every desirable cane rod from just about every classic rod makers out there. I can see a trend with the rod makers with the style of cane rods made over the years starting with longer heavier line rods and seeing them slowly get smaller and lighter over the years. For me, at least I can correlate this to gun manufacturers. It seems longer barreled, tightly choked guns were en vogue and as the years past smaller and lighter guns took the main stage. I have also noticed most Parker advertising is centered around the sporting sports. So during this time it would appear the heavier (meaning 7 to 8lbs 30" guns) would have been in fashion like a 9ft 6wt rod would have been a light trout rod of the same era. Or quite possibly I'm not quite ready, financially, to explore lighter Parker guns and only have been able to scratch my itch with less desirable lower grade longer barreled Parkers( whoa! What a mouth full!) available to me! Any thoughts on Parker 30" 12's and what was popular during the time of manufacture and why we see more of these guns would be great! Are there any advertisements with Parkers for upland hunting like you see for the other makers?
Rick Riddell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Riddell For Your Post:
Unread 08-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
Austin J Hawthorne Jr.
PGCA Member

Member Info

Rick,
You'll find an excellent article on the Parker 12/ 30's in an issue of the double Gun Journal ( I forgot which issue ). I've had a few myself but have recently switched over to 28" barrels on most of my 12's due to them being less cumbersome in the thick stuff.
Austin J Hawthorne Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin J Hawthorne Jr. For Your Post: