Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Non-Parker Specific & General Discussions Man's Best Friend

Notices

Unread 07-31-2018, 05:41 PM   #11
Sheepherder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mills,
Nothing's better than boys growing up with dogs! I was about Harry's age when I got my first puppy (a setter), about 64 years ago. For the past 44 years we've had Brittanys and like a Parker, life is better with more than one. Sherwood's a real good looking pup, I know your family will have fun with him.
Hal
Hal Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hal Sheets For Your Post:
Unread 07-31-2018, 05:44 PM   #12
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,306 Times in 4,411 Posts

He had a brother and everyone (except my wife) is saying we should have bought both.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 07-31-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
TroutSetter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

I had two male setters several years ago that were littermates. I won't do that again. We lost both of them within a couple months. That was too tough to go through. It put a real funk on my bird hunting for a couple years. I have my setters staggered about three years apart now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Meeks For Your Post:
Unread 07-31-2018, 09:02 PM   #14
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Btw if plan to hunt him only as bird dog and not in blind then Sherwood is a fun name since most don't train em to those commands for that type hunting. If you work in sit and stay command for family dog and retriever work in a blind then a name beginning with S is not ideal since dogs typically only hear first part of a word. Teach a lab or most dogs to sit and stay proper and all you have to use is first to letters and most will do the command. ST and SH are to close and can be confusing.

It maybe to late but just be cognizant of it. If you teach sit and stay and then call his name he may get confused, especially if you use his name to send him. Maybe you can morph his name into Woodie. That is good South Georgia duck dog name.

BTW have seen the mistake made with Brittany we had named Suzie. Great bird dog and very smart but then we thought we could teach her to retrieve only and she showed signs of it and want to do it but we messed it up. It was frustrating until our friend and Vet that was a duck hunter and had labs told us our mistake. After that when we took her quail and grouse hunting we almost could not use her name because she would stop and just stare at us looking confused. I swear if dogs could talk she would have this crooked look and head twist with an almost angry brow scorn look saying "What do you want me to do" .

Last edited by Todd Poer; 07-31-2018 at 09:19 PM..
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 07-31-2018, 09:06 PM   #15
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanks for the advice. It may be too late as the women like the name
Unread 07-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #16
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

There is that. Maybe you can tactfully explain that Sherwood is his proper name but you need to shorten it for simplicity to Woodie. Worth a try. But if you start having trouble then you will at least know why.. There are work arounds like instead of using name to send use Go. High on or hunt on are great release commands. I have a Springer that is very obedient family dog only but say the high on command and he will bust a gut to go about his business. Which is another problem. If walking him at heel and even see someone and say Hi, that is his understood que and will dash off toe nails clicking.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post:
Unread 08-01-2018, 09:27 AM   #17
Sheepherder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Mills,
TroutSetter"s correct, two the same age or from the same litter can be a problem. 'Bin there, done that.' (They'll bond to each other & get into trouble together. My 2 got out & went on a joy run together. Only one came back.) Get the first pup BONDED to your family (esp. your wife), then in 2 to 4 years bring in another, (a pup, not a wife). An older huntin' dog can really help with training a second pup.
The book "Gun Dog" by Richard Wolters, is a great book to go through with your sons & family. It will help your sons understand & be a part of the training of a pointing dog. Now's the time to start with the wing on the string.
Hal
Unread 08-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #18
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

If we get another, it will be a lab and that is no time soon. I will order gun dog. Thanks for the suggestion. Any good DVD training video suggestions are appreciated too
Unread 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #19
Sheepherder
PGCA Member

Member Info

Gun Dog is loaded w/pictures that the boys will understand. I think a CD was made of it, after Wolter's death. Ebay is a good place to look for both. Also, Google 'Richards A. Wolters, quite a man with many interests. Working with hunting dogs, he was a good friend of Gene Hill.
I'm 73, and re-read Gun Dog every time I start with a new pup.
By the way, crate training is important with all hunting dogs & should be done! However, sleeping with the boys will do no harm to the boys or the pup. Being a Brit. it will help with both the house & hunting conditioning.
Following with a Lab. someday is also a fine idea. At that time I'd suggest, Water Dog, also by Wolters.
Best of luck to you. Hope we can meet at a PGCA function someday.
Hal
Unread 08-01-2018, 10:26 AM   #20
TroutSetter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Mills,

George Hickox has really good training videos on DVD, if you aren't already familiar with them. You can get a copy from Gun Dog Supply.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/gehitrpododv.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Meeks For Your Post: