Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums  

Go Back   Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums Parker Forums General Parker Discussions

Notices

Unread 05-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #61
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Now waiting for the axe to fall with a connection to Lizzie Borden. Might need a lot of patience for that. On the Parker Patience front, I freely admit that I made every mistake mentioned throughout this wandering thread, including selling one (and only one) and now asking why I did that. One day of course all will be sold, probably at auction by my heirs. In the meantime, I need to convert a lot of patience into a lot of Parkers or maybe take up knitting. Cheers, Jack

Oh and yes there is Canadian Forces Base Borden in Ontario CLICK
Oh and not to be outdone, Saskatchewan named a village after Sir Frederick Borden, current population 287 (+ or - depending on lost strangers)
Unread 05-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #62
RedRiverII
Forum Associate

Member Info

Ulysses, as has been answered. The lone rider is each and every one of us, always eyeing the next horizon, charging forward or not.

I don't have patience, never did and never will. I did accept the suggestion to read The Parker Story. It's been on order since May 3rd. It is on it's way, that's two weeks of patience, forced patience.

Received The Parker Story and wow what a package. I've bought higher end books before but this set is magnificent. I did not have a chance to open it yet but will after coffee this morning.

Last edited by Alexander Sharpe; 05-19-2018 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: news
Alexander Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Sharpe For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #63
Keavin Nelson
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,240 Times in 444 Posts

Put a big pot on, this will take awhile!
Unread 05-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #64
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,175 Times in 12,362 Posts

You owe it to yourself (and to those of us who have done so) to read it cover to cover (each volume of course) as well as those Parker books that came before it.

It is a long, but fascinating, read and it will be very fulfilling to have done so.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #65
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Sharpe View Post
The lone rider is each and every one of us, always eyeing the next horizon, charging forward or not.

Some of us in Quixotic fashion...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post:
Unread 05-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #66
Randy Roberts
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 5,653 Times in 1,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murphy View Post
Listen carefully. If you are not a carpenter and want to get your stuff under control, contact the people that I contacted to get my stuff under control. sales@7.62x54R.net They are a very professional Georgia company that manufactures completely finished gun racks that are screwed to your walls, in any design that you select from their voluminous selection on their website. Their main clientelle seems to be collectors who want to display their 7.62X54 Mosin Nagant rifles. The owner of the company is a serious historian on Mosin Nagants. However, I seriously turned their business around to build racks for shotguns, two level easy access racks, custom cut for single barrel, double barrel, you name it, with butts cut for eight gauge guns if you wish. Their standard rifle butt cuts are way too narrow for our shotguns. Specify butt trays at six and a half inches minimum. Everything comes in shrink wrapped packaging and no mistakes. Save money by ordering the racks unfinished. Mine are still unfinished and they look just fine. Two of my shooting buddies are semi-professional woodworkers and recommended that I use these people. One of my buddies has headed up the installation of my racks and is very impressed with 7.62X54R.net and their craftsmanship and prices. Your only job is to determine the distance from the top butt placement to the ceiling to accommodate your longest gun.
Then you don't have to worry about the floor to second level support. It is predetermined. The butt section of the top level guns is the barrel rest for the lower level guns, one piece of lumber. I think this is a design feature they created for my racks. You do have to specify the shape, (square or round) of the barrel channels, depending on whether you are racking single barrel or double barrel guns. Contact me by PM if you have questions.
For those of you that may have an interest in gun racks for whatever purpose I thought I would mention that I have been in contact with the folks that Bill referred us to. I had an 8' section of wall in my gun room that I have been pondering on for a while so this spurred me on. I was a little skeptical at first as the owner (Ted) does everything by email. It did not take long to realize that he knew what he was doing. He worked up various drawings and was more than patient and responsive. In the end he came up with something I liked for my application and it has been ordered. Looks like mid July is the delivery date. Prolly do a separate thread on it when it's finished in case any members have an interest. Pic attached of the unit I ordered which is a 30 gun free standing unit. It will come unassembled but after viewing the assembly instructions/video on the website it should be childs play. I plan on finishing the unit myself. Thrilled with the process, now for the actual product, stay tuned. Also thanks to Bill Murphy who was kind enough to speak to me and some others as I understand it on these gun racks, Bill was most helpful !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RR Gun Rack.jpg (125.1 KB, 4 views)
Randy G Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randy G Roberts For Your Post:
Unread 05-23-2018, 04:12 PM   #67
Mills
PGCA Lifetime Member
Since 3rd Grade

Member Info

Thanked 12,332 Times in 4,418 Posts

That is cool.
Mills Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mills Morrison For Your Post:
Unread 05-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #68
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

If I were having one built I would specify that at least two of the shelves with cutouts for the butts be canted up at the front edge by 3 - 5 degrees to allow for of the guns' pitch.

Unread 05-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #69
TARNATION !!!
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,371 Times in 657 Posts

Dean I made my base with an 8 degree rise over 10 inches. No guns rest heavy on the toe of the butt plate and all still fall to the barrel support. Base has one inch high-density foam covered with fake leather and each spot on the visible base has a cutout for the butt. Worked for me. A cabinet would be nice for books and of course Parker Pages. Maybe next time. Cheers Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Base.jpg (81.2 KB, 68 views)
Unread 05-24-2018, 07:36 AM   #70
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Cash View Post
Odysseus, aka Ulysses listened to the siren song whilst tied to the mast of his shop.
Not unlike the sweet siren song of that next Parker...
Dean, why we do things is a subconscious urge that has no mode of communication, hence it is very hard to explain. Parker Mania like any other compulsive disorder is basically getting hooked on dopamine which is the feel good hormone that we naturally produce and is the basis of addictive behavior.

Ask a millennial why they are addicted to facebook, snapchat, smart phones in general and very few can explain why they can't live without it. Every time they hear a ding that someone liked their post or sends them a text, they get shot of dopamine.

Essentially shooting and collecting old sxs's and more particular Parker's can in worse case scenario become an obsessive compulsive disorder that we can get so ingrained and dependent and part of our lives it takes complete control of us.

I think the link below is a perfect example and Pete's reaction to hearing the Siren song is a perfect example. Instead of the women doing laundry picture those fine ladies sitting on a rock with an oil cloth polishing an old Parker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXpRxzmawjw
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote